7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2011 5:23 AM by BruceHalbeck

Can the Notes field in Contact Management be set to size-match its contents?

BruceHalbeck

Title

Can the Notes field in Contact Management be set to size-match its contents?

When using the Contact Management starter solution for FMPro, the Notes field (see lower tabbed section) seems to be static.  I can adjust the height of the field in Layout view, but every entry has the same height.  I would like to set it so that the height of each note matches the contents of that note.  The way it works now, if I set the Notes field to 5 lines tall in Layout view, every note is 5 lines tall, even a 1 line note, creating a lot of unused blank space.  And for entries longer than 5 lines, I have to scroll within that note to get to lines 6 and above (creating a double scrolling feature once you start entering a lot of separate notes, which is unfortunate).  Is there any way for the Notes field to be set to exactly match the height of the contents?   Thank you.

• 1. Re: Can the Notes field in Contact Management be set to size-match its contents?
          LaRetta_1

"Is there any way for the Notes field to be set to exactly match the height of the contents?"

Unfortunately  not, Bruce.  Fields are the size you draw them and stay that size  unless you are viewing the field in a report, have the field set to  maximum size ever needed, set all fields within that part to slide up  and also select 'also resize enclosing part'.  If the fields are set to  maximum then they will shrink of the space is not needed.

But during data-entry in browse mode, you are limited.  Of course when you click into the field (if User is allowed) then it will expand but I know what you mean and many Developers over the past years have complained about it.

• 2. Re: Can the Notes field in Contact Management be set to size-match its contents?
            BruceHalbeck

LaRetta, many thanks for the quick and thorough answer and added insight regarding reports.  Regarding your report comment, is there any way to view simultaneously in a separate window the report format for a contact that I am working on in browse mode? 

• 3. Re: Can the Notes field in Contact Management be set to size-match its contents?
              LaRetta_1

What version of FileMaker are you using?  My suggested solution will vary depending upon your answer.

• 6. Re: Can the Notes field in Contact Management be set to size-match its contents?
                LaRetta_1

"is there any way to view simultaneously in a separate window the report format for a contact that I am working on in browse mode? "

Yes, Bruce, but it would be quite twisted, complex and prone to break. I began to run through it and I simply couldn't recommend it.  Here is a rough outline of how it would work and look (but this doesn't even cover all of the pitfalls you would encounter):

When you view the record, the size of the layout would need to reduce to allow for the simultaneous display of the notes window next to it.  If there are no notes, this is wasted space.  Your Contact window would be in browse mode but the notes window would be in preview mode to display the notes in the method you wish (of reducing as needed in report style).

You would also need script trigger OnRecordLoad which would run script to  change the notes set to the different Contact record (using GTRR or find).  And you would need script trigger to close the notes window if you left the Contacts layout. In addition, you would need to refresh the notes window for every note change.  All in all, it can be done but it would carry a larger footprint than I think you want to pursue and a larger footprint than I even felt like doing to provide a sample.

Instead, I suggest that you simply place a button next to Add Note called View Notes.  Create your new notes layout maybe called View Notes (only put the Text field on the layout since it contains the other field information as well ) and make it max size it would ever be, set it to slide up and also reduce enclosing part (Inspector says 'resize' but that is incorrect ... it only reduces).

The script for button could be three simple script steps:

Go To Related Records [ get related records from Notes; using layout View Notes ; show in New Window ; show only related records from 'match current record only']
                Enter Preview Mode [ pause ]

Close Window

Your Contacts layout can then take the whole screen like it should but you can easily view the notes when you wish (in their expanded form).  So is it simultaneously viewing contact and notes?  No.  Is it the most practical?  Yes.

• 7. Re: Can the Notes field in Contact Management be set to size-match its contents?
                  BruceHalbeck

LaRetta,  Many thanks for your candor about limitations and for suggesting the closest workaround for what I am trying to accomplish.  Bruce