3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 10:04 AM by philmodjunk

Can the valve list display the found set of values

marco96

Title

Can the valve list display the found set of values

Hello Everyone,

I have a field in a layout that does a drop down list to show a list from another table. I want to do a search in the other table and have the value list from the first one show only the found set. What is the right way to do this.

Thank you for any help

Marco

• 1. Re: Can the valve list display the found set of values
          FentonJones

Values lists and found sets have almost nothing to do with each other. Value lists are based on either data from an entire table, or a filtered set of data via a relationship. Neither of which cares about the found set of the targeted data. 

It is possible to capture a found set of data, paste it into a dedicated field, in a 1 record table, then base a value list on that field. But that's kind of a long way around. 

There are many ways to work with sets of data. It is difficult to know which would be best for what you need without quite a bit more detail about what you're trying to do. 

• 2. Re: Can the valve list display the found set of values
            marco96

Thank you for your responce.

One layout has my projects, the projects layout. In another table I have a field that I  can click on and it will list all the project numbers i have in the projects layout. I was wondering if I did a search in the project layout for a set of records, if i could have the field in the other table only list the found set of records in the projects layout. 

I'm sure there is a easier way to do this. I guess I'm not sure how to filter things. 

• 3. Re: Can the valve list display the found set of values
              philmodjunk
                 It sounds like you want a "filtered portal". If you click the advanced search link above, you'll find numerous threads that discuss this technique and give examples.