1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 28, 2012 6:14 AM by jake

Can this be done??? Please help me :)

hopkinsprinting

Title

Can this be done??? Please help me :)

First let me say that I am a novice so please bear with me.

I have a FM database that after adding a record and entering some info into one field ("job number"), I want FM to reach out to a Progress/OpenEdge database and "pull" information from it back to the FM database to auto-populate two other fields ("customer name" and "project name" which corresponds to the info in the "job number" field).  These 3 fields are simple text fields.

I have the driver/ODBC data source added in the "Manage ODBC Data Sources" window.  Using the "Import Records" feature, It seems that I can import records (although I haven't tried to) from the Progress DB (I can explore all of its tables/fields) but can't seem to add a table from it to the FM database (I get an error stating that the "ODBC data source type is not supported.").

Questions:

1. Is what I want to do possible?  If not, is there a workaround?  If either is yes, can anyone give me step by step instructions?
                2. Is adding a table from the Progress DB even necessary?
                3. Given what I am trying to achieve, in the database world, what is this called?  Am I importing records or is this a query or...?
                4. Am I doing about this the wrong way?

Please help me and thank you in advance!
                hp

• 1. Re: Can this be done??? Please help me :)
          jake

If your relationship is correct, under your filed options in the auto enter tab. click on "Looked-up value" select the relationship and select the field you want to pull through. Please note this will only work when creating a new record, if the record is already created, the value won't change through this.