7 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2013 9:04 AM by rouelf_1

Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?

rouelf_1

Title

Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?

For a table I have two Table Occurrences (TO), the TOs have a common table that connects them, each TO displays different records (same fields). Is there a way to combine/merge the two TO to show/display the combined records ?

• 1. Re: Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?
          ninja

Hello Rouelf,

I can't tell what you are asking since you are misusing the term Table Occurrence.  The best I can tell, you have two Tables.  Please clarify.

By definition two, four or eighty TO's of the same table have ALL of the same records and fields.

Do you really mean you have two Tables with different records yet all the same fields?

• 2. Re: Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?
            rouelf_1

Thanks Ninja, perhaps am misuing the term TO.  In the enclosed fiigure, Records 5 and Records 7, in my underdtanding are TOs of the table Records. Records 5 and Records 7 display different records. Would like to displays the combined records from these "2 TOs" in one table or a single TO.

• 3. Re: Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?
              ninja

Howdy,

If they are indeed different TO's of the same table, they will have the same records.

Double click on the TO's in this graph and see what table they are based upon.  Verify that they are the same underlying table.

The concept of "combining" the records from two TO's of the same table is a non-sequitor...they already have the same exact records...they are the same table.

From your graph, it may be that they appear to have different records when viewed through the relationships (the relationships may be filtering the un related records).

To test this, create a test layout based on records5 and put all the fileds on it....show all records...how many do you have?

Then change the layout to be based on records 7 ... show all records...how many do you have?

Now look at the layout that makes you think the two TO's have different records.  What TO is it based on?...Siblings?  From siblings you clearly have a filtered relationship to husband and wife.

I understand what you are asking for, and from a certain (but mistaken) mindset it is a logical question...but you are really asking "How can I combine an orange?"

The answer is that you cant and don't have to...it is already only one orange.

• 4. Re: Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?
                rouelf_1

Thanks for your response, in the figure provided, "Siblings", "Record 16", "Records 6", "Records 5", and "Records 7" are all based on the same table, called Records. I creatred two portals, 1 portal display records from TO Records 5, and the the 2nd portal displays records from the TO Records 7; and they display different records, as I believe they should based on the filtering relationships that have been setup. What is desired is to displays these two sets of records, and only these records either in a new portal or a new table or ....

• 5. Re: Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?
                  ninja

So you want to alter the filtering conditions to show two different 'categories' ?

If so, you can simply create a calculation field that returns "Include" based on whatever multiple criteria you want, then have your portal show only records that have the value "include".

The claulated field may be something like (totally guessing criteria here).

Case ( SibSex = "Female AND SibAge < 18 ; "Include" ;

SibSex = "Female" AND SibAge > 65 ; "Include ;

SibSex = "Male" ; "Include" ;

and on and on....   )

• 6. Re: Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?
                    rouelf_1

Ninja thanks, interesting suggestion. Will try to implement that suggestion, will let you know the outcome.

• 7. Re: Can two table Occurrences (TO) be Combine / Merge and displayed in one TO ?
                      rouelf_1

Have tried for a couple hours to implement the suggestion above, but ... I guess am not clever enough to make it work. Will run with what I currently have. But sure would like to merge these two portals.