4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 8:39 AM by philmodjunk

Can u help me?? retreive data from other database

oscarmendoza

Title

Can u help me?? retreive data from other database

Hello i want to see if you guys can help me

I have Database1 field_1 field_2 Field_3 etc now i also have another Database2 with the same fields

Now how do i connect DB1 with DB2 and syncronize the fields?? lets say i change something in DB2 i can see the change reflected in DB1 how do i relate the fields so they are connected??

thank you in advance for your help.!:)

• 1. Re: Can u help me?? retreive data from other database
          MrCryan

I suggest that you have a look at 'relationships' in the help file. That should start you on your way to seeing data in one table from another. As regards 'synchronising' the tables or files that is another matter and would need a better explanation of exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Like I said, have a look at relationships first

Hope that helps

Phil

• 2. Re: Can u help me?? retreive data from other database
            philmodjunk

Best way to synchronize the data is to not have two tables (or files) of identical data to synchronize.

depending on what you have in mind here, this link may or may not be useful to you:

Auto Fill

It describes how you can use a relationship to either copy data from one table (or file) to another or to just reference the data in the other table without having to copy it at all.

• 3. Re: Can u help me?? retreive data from other database
              oscarmendoza

Ok this is what i am trying to DO.

I have created a Inventory Database from the starter solution plus i added some other fileds

NOW i need to use the invoices starter solution as a POS for 2 of my companies.

I need this two "POS" to connect to the inventory and pull quantities at the same time is this something that can be accomplished? and what approach would you recomend?

Thank you very much in advance.

• 4. Re: Can u help me?? retreive data from other database
                philmodjunk

Presumably these are physically separate companies and thus do not share the same local network. If they did, this would be simpler.

It's possible to host the database file either from a computer you configure for this purpose or via a company you hire for the purpose. Then both companies can use FileMaker to link to the same file as clients of this hosted database.

You can update the inventory one sales transaction at a time from this shared database, or do a "batch" update at regular intervals such as every evening after close of business.