4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2015 9:21 PM by Suresh

Can we connect One Database file to Another Database file?

Suresh

Title

Can we connect One Database file to Another Database file?

Dear Admins & Experts,

I'm handling 10 database files at a same time. That are different files. But located at same location in Server.

But now i required shall i link those databases from my main database home layout?

For Ex:

1. Main Database XYZ
      2. Sub.A
      3. Sub.B
      4. Sub.C
      5. Sub.D

Here i required, If i want a link for Sub.A, Sub.B, Sub.C, Sub.D in the Main database home page layout means how to do that?

Give me idea to do it better!!

Thanks,
      Suresh

• 1. Re: Can we connect One Database file to Another Database file?
          philmodjunk

Once upon a time, you could only define 1 table in a given FileMaker file. To link the tables in relationships, you had to link the files. Even though we can now put multiple tables in one file, FileMaker still retains the ability to link to tables in other files.

Here's how:

1. Open Manage | database | Relationships
          3. Click the button at far bottom left of this window to create a new Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?. This opens a new dialog box.
          5. In the dialog box, there's a drop down for selecting which table will be the data source table for your new table occurrence
          7. Select "Add FileMakder Data Source". This opens dialog boxes where you first select the file that contains your table and then the table from that file that you want.
          9. You now have a reference to a table from another file and you can link it to tables in your current file, base a layout on it, use it as the basis for a portal....
          11. This also will create a external data source reference that you can find in Manage | External Data Sources
          13. Once you have created one external data source reference to a particular file, you can set up more table occurrences that link to other tables in this file without having to go through the process of finding the file from which you want to select a data source table.
          • 2. Re: Can we connect One Database file to Another Database file?
            Suresh

But PhilModJunk Sir ,

These files are located in Server system. In Server System we installed FileMaker Server. How i will open & edit these *.FMP12 files? frown

Help !!

Thanks
            Suresh

• 3. Re: Can we connect One Database file to Another Database file?
              philmodjunk

Use FileMaker Pro to open the hosted file and edit them. When selecting a file for an external data source reference, you can click "Open Remote" and find the hosted file on the server. If the file is set to not display in the hosts dialog, you can still click the name of the host and then manually enter the name after the IP address shown at the bottom in order to open the file.

• 4. Re: Can we connect One Database file to Another Database file?
                Suresh

Ok Sir, I will try and say the result soon..

Suresh