6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2010 5:32 AM by dburnham

Can XTPTrans directory be deleted for Kiosk Runtimes?

Contour

Title

Can XTPTrans directory be deleted for Kiosk Runtimes?

The XTPTrans sub directory (new in FMP 10) on my built runtime directory contains over 2Mb of XML files that seem to be associated with user changes to the Status Toolbar.  My runtime does not use the Status Toolbar.  Is there any problem with deleting the entire directory to save the megabytes in the distributed runtime file?

My own testing indicates that the runtime executes fine without them.  It seems the same as the case of deleting unused dictionaries.  But is there some other reason to have these XML files?

• 1. Re: Can XTPTrans directory be deleted for Kiosk Runtimes?
          TSGal

Contour:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker, Inc. does not recommend removing any files from the Runtime directory.  If your testing works properly without those files, then feel free to distribute at your own risk.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Can XTPTrans directory be deleted for Kiosk Runtimes?
            Contour

Thanks for the reply.

Contour wrote:
            ... It seems the same as the case of deleting unused dictionaries.  ...

Are you saying that FileMaker no longer endorses removing unused dictionaries from built runtimes?  

• 3. Re: Can XTPTrans directory be deleted for Kiosk Runtimes?
              TSGal

Contour:

FileMaker, Inc. does not endorse removing any files from runtime solutions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Can XTPTrans directory be deleted for Kiosk Runtimes?
                Contour

TSGal, I beg to differ with you:

Distributing runtime solutions (FileMaker Pro Advanced)
                The final steps in developing your runtime database solution are to bundle all of the necessary files together, choose how you will distribute your solution—for example, on a CD-ROM or over a network—and provide your users with documentation for installing your solution. In addition, your documentation should include instructions for starting the runtime application and what to do if a file is damaged.
                Consider the following before you distribute your solution:
                  •Organize your solution components.
                Important  Do not rename the files and folders that Developer Utilities generates.
                  •Choose a distribution method.
                  •Choose to use either a custom installation program or a compression utility program.
                  •For software distributions such as internet or network downloads, ensure you have a master password to enable or change network access to the files.
                  •For software distributions, consider reducing the size of your solution files. Deleting dictionaries and language resource files for languages not supported by your database will reduce the size of the application. See below.
                  •Include the same minimum equipment and software required by the FileMaker Pro Advanced application. See the Installation Guide for FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Pro Advanced...
                To reduce the size of your solution in Windows:
                1. Open the Extensions folder that is copied to the runtime solution folder.
                2. Delete language resource folders for languages not supported by your solution.
                Important  Do not delete the language resource folder for English.
                3. Open the Dictionaries folder.
                4. Delete dictionaries for languages not supported by your solution.

For the full story:   FMProDoc

This has been a standard practice for years now.  Now that the dictionaries have grown in size -- and even include Chinese -- it is more important than ever for runtimes to be made more efficient.  

In light of the above, please escalate my request regarding XTPTrans and other files.

Thank you.

• 5. Re: Can XTPTrans directory be deleted for Kiosk Runtimes?
                  TSGal

Contour:

Technically, I stand corrected.  You can remove the language resources for languages not supported and you can delete dictionaries for languages not supported.  It doesn't say to delete all dictionaries.

I have forwarded your request to our Development department for more information.  When I receive a reply, I will post here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Can XTPTrans directory be deleted for Kiosk Runtimes?
                    dburnham

TSGal:

When researching this for further info, can you also at the same time inquire whether the runtime solution will operate directly from a CD-ROM on which it is distributed (sort of like a screen saver) if no data at all needs to be written to any of the tables.