AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can you create a script that can determine on its own what field it's supposed to be affecting?

Question asked by ijontichy on Oct 15, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2012 by ijontichy

Title

Can you create a script that can determine on its own what field it's supposed to be affecting?

I work with a type of data called timecode which is very similar to regular time, but very specifically formatted.

So, 02:20:30:12 refers to Hour 2, Minute 20, second 30 and frame 12 of a motion picture clip. 

I have several fields where this information has to be entered and I have a script that allows someone to enter the numbers without the required colons and then the script formats it with colons so that it reads the way we're used to reading timecode and exports timecode compatible values for other processes.

The thing is, I have to build a specific triggered script for each timecode field to which I want this reformatting to apply and it strikes me I'm missing something basic.

Is there a way to make the script more aware so that it first identifies the layout and field it needs to be affecting and then makes the change?

Thanks in advance!

e.

Outcomes