4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2009 2:53 PM by joshonefive

Can you import text into a value list field?

joshonefive

Title

Can you import text into a value list field?

Hey guys,

I ask this question because I have a DB with fields that eventually will be value lists once we import all the text lists as vaules. My concern is, once i establish the fields at value lists, will I be able to import text into them?

Thanks, any reply is much appreciated!

Josh

SDSU IT  

• 1. Re: Can you import text into a value list field?
          philmodjunk

Value lists and fields are two separate animals though our Filemaker layouts sometimes make it look like they're the same thing. :smileywink: I assume from your post that you have defined a value list to pull its values from a field in a table. Either that or you have used Field/Control Set up to define a value list for a field on a layout. I can't tell which from your post. In either case, you can still data into your field manually, you can set up scripts that enter data into this field, you use import records to put data in this field... and the presence or absence of a value list won't prevent you except for manual data entry--and then only if you are using a specific instance of that field that you have formatted to use a value list.

Value lists allow you to control how a user enters data into a text box on a layout that also is linked to a defined field in one of your tables. Filemaker always refers to this "text box" by its underlying field name and this may be the source of your confusion. If you are interested, try the following experiment....

Place a field on a layout. Give it a value list format using Field/Control Setup. Put the same field in a different location on the same layout. Leave it unformatted or give it a different value list altogether. Now enter browse mode and try entering data into your two "text boxes" that happen to be linked to the same field. You'll see that both fields will always contain the same info even though they are formatted to use different value lists.

Hope that helps.

• 2. Re: Can you import text into a value list field?
            joshonefive

Thanks for the response Phil,

I am trying to import records from a field on my existing DB to a field that has a value list attached to it on a new DB. The new DB is essentially the old one with some minor changes(eg value lists have been attached to fields that previously were used for manual entry). 

So I'm guessing as long as the data I'm trying to import matches the format of the fields, it shouldn't matter weather there is a value list attached to the desired import field(text box) or not... right? 

Thanks Phil,

JOsh 

• 3. Re: Can you import text into a value list field?
              philmodjunk

You are correct. If you use your value list to format your field with check boxes and/or radio buttons, the format will "hide" the non-matching content from you. (All the checkboxes/radio buttons will appear to be unselected even though the field is not empty.) If you use a drop down down list, they won't be hidden. I forget what happens if it's a pop-up menu, but you can figure that out with a little experimentation.

If you set a field validation requiring the value to be a member of your value list with "always" checked you'll probably get an error report with a count of the records you couldn't import after you import your records also.

• 4. Re: Can you import text into a value list field?
                joshonefive

Thanks Phil,

I'll test this out and post my results, my original question has been answered!

Josh