2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2010 6:58 AM by Scooter62

Can you link records in FM

Scooter62

Title

Can you link records in FM

I have created a Filemaker database (version 8.5 running on MacOS 10.4.11) that tracks the production of jobs for a printing company. Occasionally, two or more jobs--which are identical in every way except for the job number and the the desired finished quantity--should be treated as if they were combined into one production job for particular processes (They are, for example printed all at once on the press), but retain their status as separate jobs for other processes, and for accounting, etc.

My questions is: Is there a way to link two, three or four records, so that they could be treated as one record during certain processes, but still retain their separate job status for other processes and for billing? For example, when a production employee changes the status of one job, it would change the status of the other linked jobs. Or, when he charges time to one of the linked jobs, the total time could be spread over all the linked jobs.

• 1. Re: Can you link records in FM
          philmodjunk

There are ways to do this, but the details will vary depending on what you need.

Off hand, I'd set up a "master job" table where one record always = one job. Your existing jobs table would become "sub jobs" linked to a serial ID field in the new table. For most of your jobs, you'd have one sub job linked to one Master Job table, but whenever you get the situation you describe, you'd link all your sub job records to the same Master Job table so that they can be treated like one combined job for billing, status and other purposes.

This would be quite a bit like setting up an invoice where the invoice has a portal to a line items table for listing each item purchased on that invoice.

• 2. Re: Can you link records in FM
            Scooter62
               Thanks, I'll give it a try.