4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2009 8:10 AM by craig5005

Can you recieve a reminder in form of an auto e-mail

eren

Title

Can you recieve a reminder in form of an auto e-mail

We have set up a register of our employees with the a list of doucumented competence they have. Some of these documents have an expiration date.

I would like to recieve an automatic email reminder for example 2-3 months before it expires, so we have time to set up a refresh course.

I also want the email to target certain people depending on which documents expire

Kind regards

eren

• 1. Re: Can you recieve a reminder in form of an auto e-mail
          mrvodka
             What version of FM are you using?
          • 2. Re: Can you recieve a reminder in form of an auto e-mail
            eren
               We are using Filmaker Pro 8.5
            • 3. Re: Can you recieve a reminder in form of an auto e-mail
              mrvodka
                 you will have to go with an email plugin or some other alternative then. SMTP mails were not part of FM until FMP10.
              • 4. Re: Can you recieve a reminder in form of an auto e-mail
                craig5005

Does FM 8.5 have the "send mail" script?  If so, there is a 'mcgyver' way of doing this.

If you are using a mac, use automator to create a script that will open your database (save this as an application).

Use iCal to set up an alarm at say midnight every night... and set it to run your automator application when it goes off.

This will make your computer open your database nightly at midnight (or whatever time).

Now what you have to do is create an open script (will run anytime you open the database).  In this create a if statement that says 

If [Hour(get(currenttime))=24]

*then tell it to send an email if documents are 2-3 months from expiration.

End if

This way, when you open your database during the day, this script won't email you, you will only get the expiration notices once.

This solution might not work for you as it depends on a few things.

1. You have to have a computer running all night (which some companies might not like)... although you could change it to run at 5pm or something.

2. I don't think it will work if your database is running all the time.

If you have windows, I think you can use Windows scheduler or something like that to pretty much accomplish the same thing.

If you think this would work for you, try it out, and if you have any questions let me know.

Craig 

-------------

Reading this message over I thought of another thing.  If you use your database everyday, and say open it everyday around 9am when you get to the office, you could just put in your open script If hour(getcurrenttime) = 9, perform script.  This way you don't have to have your computer running at night, and you don't have to worry about all that automator and ical stuff.