2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2013 2:15 PM by deathrobot

Can't access certain fields when in layout mode

deathrobot

Title

Can't access certain fields when in layout mode

When performing a "select all" in layout mode, I found several invisible fields that are off to the right side of the layout (in the gray area). I want to delete these, but cannot select them directly. They seem to be somehow connected to one or more fields in a portal which is in a tab; I can only highlight the invisible fields when I select the whole tab control and everything in it. I've tried dragging over that whole tab control (which selects the invisible fields) and than shift-dragging over the tab control, thinking I'd be left with just the invisible fields selected and I could then delete them, but there are always fields in some of the tabs that won't deselect. Is there a way to select the invisible fields by name? Or a trick when selecting and deselecting tab controls?

Thanks,

Michael

• 1. Re: Can't access certain fields when in layout mode
          philmodjunk

Check and see if they are locked. If you directly click a locked layout object, the selection handles look like the letter x. If they are locked, you will need to unlock them before you can delete them.

• 2. Re: Can't access certain fields when in layout mode
            deathrobot

Hi PhilModJunk,

I was replying to your comment, when it suddenly dawned on me how I would need to delete them. In case this helps someone else…

It wasn't that the fields were locked, it was that I couldn't even select them. If I selected everything on my layout, I could see the outlines of them over in the gray area, but they didn't have field names, borders, fills, etc. If I tried to click where they were directly, or even try to just drag over the area they were, they would not be selected. What did allow me to finally get them, was to extend my Tab Control window way out beyond where they were; they were part of the Tab Control but way off the layout. Not sure how that happened, but they are now gone.

Thank you,

Michael