5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2011 2:24 PM by philmodjunk

Can't Add a Note in Contacts Database Published to the Web

BrianLeader

Title

Can't Add a Note in Contacts Database Published to the Web

I'm on a 30 day trial of FM Pro 11 and am using the sample "Contacts" database with IWP.  When I try to use the "add a note" button, nothing happens.  The records have been typed in and not imported.  The "add a note" button works when running the file locally, just not through a web browser.  Since this is a major bug, I need a resolution before I will purchase the software.

Thanks,

Brian

• 1. Re: Can't Add a Note in Contacts Database Published to the Web
          philmodjunk

This is not a bug in the software. This starter solution was never designed to be published to the web.

Open the add a note script and delete the "Freeze Window" script step. This step is not compatible with IWP and steps not compatible with web publishing will cause the script to exit on the first such step encountered.

You can see which script steps are compatible when you have a script open in the script editor by selecting "Web Publishing" in the Show Compatibility drop down located in the lower left corner of the script editor.

• 2. Re: Can't Add a Note in Contacts Database Published to the Web
            BrianLeader

Ok, but since web publishing is a major selling point of the software and the samples were included, I would have expected them to be compatible.  The larger question is if I get rid of the "Freeze Window" script step, will the "add a note" feature now be compatible with IWP?  If not, how would I go about adding such a feature?  Or should I just be using a large editable text field?

Thanks,

Brian

• 3. Re: Can't Add a Note in Contacts Database Published to the Web
              philmodjunk

WIth Freeze Window removed or disabled, that script should be compatible with web publishing. Try it out and see for yourself. (You are not the first to encounter this issue with this starter solution and removing/disabling this step solved the issue for the other posters as I recall.)

Keep in mind that Filemaker is not intended to be an "off the shelf" solution to your needs. Instead, it is a tool for developing your own customized solutions designed to fit your specific requirements. The starter solutions files are intended to provide users with examples of what can be developed in FileMaker any one of them may need to be customized by you before it can do what you need. That may require an investment of time and effort on your part to learn not only how FileMaker works, but how best to design the database and how best to design your interface for use in IWP.

If you pull down the help menu, you should find a PDF on web publishing in the documents sub menu. It's a good starting point for moving past the "ad copy" to a description of what is practical/possible with web publishing a FileMaker Pro database.

• 4. Re: Can't Add a Note in Contacts Database Published to the Web
                BrianLeader

Yes, that worked.  Thanks.  I'm a programmer but just want to save time and do as little work as possible.  Thus, FM instant web publishing instead of a custom PHP / mysql application.

-- Brian

• 5. Re: Can't Add a Note in Contacts Database Published to the Web
                  philmodjunk

Just make sure that you understand its limitations. Ad copy aside, it uses a pretty limited interface, (in order to be able to interact with the various web browsers) when compared to what you can do with direct access via FileMaker Pro.

Also, if you make the decision to go ahead and buy, get FileMaker Advanced as your development app and leave FileMaker Pro or web browsers for the clients to use. The extra $$ spent will be well justified by the addition of several very important development tools such as a data viewer and a script debugger that aren't part of the FileMaker Pro demo file you are currently using.