3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2009 1:51 PM by philmodjunk

Can't add data to last line of portal in v10

maxrivers

Title

Can't add data to last line of portal in v10

Sorry if this is a newbie question. I've worked in FM v5 for years, and just upgraded to 10.

I'm creating an acupuncture clinic system, and have 4 files:

1)Acupuncturists: AID, AName, ALastName

2)Patients: PID, PName, PLastName

3) Scheduled Appointment Line Items: SID,PID,AID,DT,Time

4) Appointment Schedule which has a DT field, and then a portal with:

SID, ::DT,::TIME,::AID,::PID from 3 above, and uses 1 above to translate AID into  ::AName and 2 above to translatePID into ::PNAME.

When I put a date in 4's date field, it populates the portal with all the appointments in 3 for that date, and shows the patient's and Acupuncturists names, but there's no way to add a new appointment at the bottom of the portal, which is what I want to do.

Also, if I change the ::AID number or the ::PID number in a line, it updates the names, but it isn't reasonable to expect the receptionist to remember all the patient's numbers. How would I reasonably do a lookup in the portal line?

Thanks, Max.

• 1. Re: Can't add data to last line of portal in v10
          philmodjunk

"When I put a date in 4's date field, it populates the portal ... but there's no way to add a new appointment at the bottom of the portal"

Open Manage | Database | Relationships.

Double-click the line linking Appointment Schedule and Scheduled Appointment Line Items.

Click the check box, "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for the Appointment Line Items table.

"How would I reasonably do a lookup in the portal line?"

The simplest way is to format the PID and AID fields as drop down lists or pop-up menus with two column value lists. Column 1 would disply the ID number and Column 2, the name. Open Manage | Value lists, create a new value list and click the specify field... button to specify a field that will be the source of values for the value list.

Select the Acupuncturists table in the table drop down and click AID to select that field for column 1.

Click the "Also display values from" check box and select Aname from the Acupuncterists table for the second column.

If you want, select the "sort values using second field" option so that the names are displayed in alphabetical order.

Finally, to keep the pesky emoticons from messing up your posts, insert a space between the colon and any letter such as P or D that will trigger such an icon.

• 2. Re: Can't add data to last line of portal in v10
            maxrivers

Thanks, that explains the lookup, but what about adding a new line to the portal? Why isn't that being allowed? In version 5 they asked if we wanted to let that happen, in 10 it only asks if we want to delete a line.

Max.

• 3. Re: Can't add data to last line of portal in v10
              philmodjunk

I still have version 5 on my computer. It does not ask you this in the portal settings. In both versions, you have to enable the creation of related records for the portal table which is part of the relationship properties.

Did you do this part of my first post?

Open Manage | Database | Relationships.

Double-click the line linking Appointment Schedule and Scheduled Appointment Line Items.

Click the check box, "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for the Appointment Line Items table.

That should enable you to create a new related record by entering data in the bottom blank line of the portal.