3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 4:01 PM by mattb

Can't close any windows in compiled version

mattb

Title

Can't close any windows in compiled version

I've been working with FMP Advanced 10.0v3 for Mac OSX.  Since yesterday, all of the compiled runtime versions of the app I'm working on

have the red close button grayed out and inactive on all windows.  I can close the app from the pulldown menu, but not any of the windows. 

The orange minimize and green maximize buttons are still active.  This is not the case in the development environment, only in compiled

runtime versions.

I had this problem earlier, but it seemed to have gone away on its own without my making any particular efforts to solve it, but now it's

back and happens all the time.  Obviously the ability for the user to close windows is a basic one and this shouldn't be happening.  Anybody

have a clue as to what causes this?  And how to fix it?

Matt Bloomfield

• 1. Re: Can't close any windows in compiled version
          philmodjunk

This feature is disabled in Runtime solutions. Don't know why, but it is.

You can either use the file menu option as you describe or place a button set to close the window on your layout.

• 2. Re: Can't close any windows in compiled version
            mattb
               Ouch.  That seems like a serious deficiency to me.  I've put my own close window buttons in, which I was hoping was a temporary solution, but I guess they're staying now...
            • 3. Re: Can't close any windows in compiled version
              mattb

PhilModJunk wrote:

This feature is disabled in Runtime solutions. Don't know why, but it is.

After much investigation of 3rd party plugins, I'm (somewhat) happy to report that the disabled close box in compiled FMP apps can indeed be

over-ridden and made active again. I'm using a plugin named qWindow (website:  http://www.qutic.com) which costs $199 for a developer license.  That's kind of a steep price to pay for regaining the ability to have an active OSX close box, but in my situation (developing commercial software for sale to the public), absolutely essential.  I have now removed all of my "custom close window buttons" that I inserted to get around this deficiency, and the app now looks like a normal OSX app.  I can even use the close button on the main program window to shut the app down.  This plugin gives you the ability to turn off or on all 3 OSX buttons individually:  close, minimize and maximize, and at an individual window level, so different windows can have different configurations of these buttons being on or off.  The plugin also allows you to turn off or on the ability for a user to move or resize a window. 

Matt Bloomfield