4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 9:44 AM by TSGal

Can't discover the filemaker server

jault

Title

Can't discover the filemaker server

So we have 2 filemaker servers on the network.  One discovers in the client just fine.  The other one doesn't show up and can't be discovered. Here's the catch, you can connect to it just fine when you specify the IP so it's up -- but we can't seem to discover it.

One more piece of information - both servers and all clients are all in the same local subnet so it's not a router or firewall issue from what I can tell.

Also, we tested the discovery protocol (BonJour) by launching itunes on that same FileMaker server and we can see it show up on the client PC -- so BonJour is running and it's not blocked. But we just can't discover filemaker on that server.  What's going on?

Any ideas, tips, hints?  Is there something we have to enable on the server?  Has filemaker stopped properly utiling BonJour? How can we get it going again?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't discover the filemaker server
          Kundinger

Hi "jault",

As a network engineer, I strongly recommend that you connect to any Internet type service or server using properly configured DNS or static IP addresses.  I have nothing against using Bonjour or any 'discovery' type technology.

What I have found is that you will inevitably encounter connection issues if you don't have a static IP address assigned to the server providing the services you are accessing.  Additionally, things can get to be 'nightmarish' if DNS is NOT setup properly.  We live in a Internet world where everything is going to IP based.

Regarding FMP, I would use the DNS name or IP address to connect to the server.  You can then 'add' the server to your FMP 'Favorites'.

Regarding the testing of DNS and IP info, you can use the 'Terminal' in Mac OSX or, the 'Command Prompt' in Windows to reveal your IP & DNS info.

I hope this helps you and any other interested readers... Good Luck!!!

Kundinger

• 2. Re: Can't discover the filemaker server
            jault

Thanks for the advce, Kundinger.

The FileMaker server is set up with a static IP and users can already connect directly to the server by IP.  Perhaps using DNS to resolve would make things easier by permitting them to simply type the name.  But in this case, the FileMaker server discovery is really just a matter of user preferred convenience whereby inexpeienced users can open the client, and the server will automatically be found through the discovery protocol, they click on it and away they go.

If anyone could provide any direction on why the FileMaker server is no longer "discoverable" would be helpful.  Again, everything is working fine, we would just like the convenience factor of discovering which isn't working for some reason.

Thank you all.

• 3. Re: Can't discover the filemaker server
              TSGal

jault:

Thank you for your posts.

Please make sure that port 5003 is open (along with 16000+).  Otherwise, the server may not be discoverable.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Can't discover the filemaker server
                TSGal

jault:

Did you install the latest SSL socket update?

For Windows:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fms_9.0.3.326_win_update.html

For Macintosh:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fmp_9.0.3_SSL_mac_update.html

Let me know if this works.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.