3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2009 8:34 AM by philmodjunk

Can't edit checkbox field

ghaubner

Title

Can't edit checkbox field

Hi---we are a VERY small non profit; we use File Maker Pro 9 mostly to keep track of donations.  I'm working on a Mac with OS X. We have two new board members who I would like to add to our board member field, which we use to track who contacted the donors.  When I go to the field control setup, the "edit" selection is greyed out. How did this happen and how can I fix it?  I can add the names, but without the checkboxes it's useless. (I didn't create the database.)

thanks! 

• 1. Re: Can't edit checkbox field
          philmodjunk

In the same dialog box (field/control | setup...) you should see the name of the value list that results in check boxes for your field.

Open Manage | value lists... and find this value list.

Select this list and click edit to change the values that appear as check boxes in your field.

• 2. Re: Can't edit checkbox field
            ghaubner
               Perfect! I'm all set.  Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Can't edit checkbox field
              philmodjunk

One word of caution. Editing the value list does not change the information stored in the field.

If John Smith was the previous name in the value list, John Smith will remain in each field after you remove this name, but it will be invisible to you or other users. You may want temporarily add the name back into your value list, find all records with this name, update them and then delete the name from the value list to eliminate this hidden data.