AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can't figure out how to relate these tables

Question asked by NickCohen on Oct 13, 2014
Latest reply on Oct 15, 2014 by NickCohen

Title

Can't figure out how to relate these tables

I'm a massive opera lover and am trying to create a database to keep track of the opera productions I've seen. The main things I want to keep track of are the different operas I've seen, when I've seen them, and which singers sang which roles. In my mind, the main tables I would view would be Operas, to see an overview of all operas I've seen; Performances, to keep track of the operas I've seen multiple times; Singers, to keep track of which singers I've seen, and what roles they've performed; and Roles, to keep track of which roles I've seen performed by which singers. So as of now, the tables I have set up are Operas, Performances, Roles, Singers, and Castings (which is a join table of Roles and Singers - think Singer X as Role Y). However, one casting may be used for many performances - and each performance has many castings. I'm struggling to find a way to link everything together so that there won't be any many-to-many relationships and I'll easily be able to see the information I want while looking through the database.

I'm fairly new to FileMaker, so any help would be greatly apprecaited!

Outcomes