1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 9:59 AM by philmodjunk

Can't find the login screen

wdockery

Title

Can't find the login screen

Hello, I have set up a couple of accounts for a FileMaker file called "Contact Management".  When I open the file, I can't get to a login screen, even if I hold down the Option key while opening.  Also, I don't know how to tell which account is active when I have opened the file; I think the file is being opened under "Admin", even though I deselected that account in File Options.

And finally, I don't understand the importance of "User Name" in the Preferences section.

Thanks for help on these questions-- 

• 1. Re: Can't find the login screen
          philmodjunk

Check Manage | Access privileges and see what accounts and passwords are defined. It sounds like you have the default setting: Admin with no password. Since no password is defined, you don't get a log in asking for a password. Try adding some passwords here and you'll see a change in behavior.

User Names (as set in the preferences) can be confusing, especially the way filemaker tries to use the current user name as the default account name during a log in. The user name setting identifies a specific copy of filemaker pro. You can access this text in calculations using Get(username) to identify the current user of the database--this can be useful in cases where your database is hosted over a network. You can also set a text field to automatically record the current user name when a record is created or when it is modified.