Can't force text field to refresh auto-enter calculation
I would like a value list to show a list of people's names plus their company name (e.g. "Bob Smith (Company)"). So, I've created a new field to store this data. I would like to have the field be updated for all my existing records. I have tried the following but cannot get it to work:
1) Create a calculation field called %namePlusCompany. Calc is People::name & " (" & People » Companies::name & ")". Result is text.
2) Confirm all the Okay buttons
3) Verify that everything looks correct on all the records (temporarily put this field on a layout for this purpose)
4) Redefine the field as a text field with an auto-enter calculation that matches the above. Make sure "Do not replace existing values" is unchecked
5) Go back to layout, and all the fields are blank
I've tried unchecking and checking the "do not evaluate if all fields are empty" in both the text and calculation versions of the field, but that has no effect. I know I must be missing something simple, but can't figure out what it is.
Thanks for any help!