3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 11:07 AM by PetersonJacquelyne

Can't get auto-enter serial number to work when importing records

PetersonJacquelyne

Title

Can't get auto-enter serial number to work when importing records

Hello! Would appreciate and all advice on this issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I have a master FMP 12 database (living on an networked server) with a field for a unique ID#, and have that field set to auto-enter a serial number by increment of 1 when a record is created. This works when adding a new record manually (e.g. it auto-enters a value of one more than the last record's value in that same field). However, I frequently import records from standalone FMP 12 files that I receive from consultants I work with, and when I do so, the starting number of the first imported record is never what it should be:

- it starts at a different place every time - ie, if I import a group of records on Monday, the starting number of the first imported record is 0746; but if I go to do an import 2 weeks later, the starting number of the first imported record will be 0356

- it's is always a duplicate ID# that is already in use by an existing record in the "master" database: eg if the last record in the master is 0999, the starting number of the first imported record will revert to 0746

I do always select "Perform auto-enter functions" when importing, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I'm at a loss for how to make this work. Has anyone ever experienced this before and found a solution?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Can't get auto-enter serial number to work when importing records
          philmodjunk

IT would seem that the file from which you are importing records already has assigned a serial number to the field in that other copy of the file.

I would think enabling auto-enter options would, however, replace that value with a new value in the imported table so this is a bit surprising.

However, you don't have to include that field when mapping fields for the import and then (if enabled) the auto-entered serial number setting should work.

Here's are some other ways to deal with this:

If you discover wrong serial numbers after importing, you can use Replace Field Contents to assign serial numbers ot he found set of newly imported records and update your serial number settings at the same time.

If you are using FileMaker 12, you can replace your serial number field with a text field that auto-enters Get ( UUID ) in both copies of this file. Then the records will import with a value that is already unique even though it comes from the other copy of the file.

• 2. Re: Can't get auto-enter serial number to work when importing records
            philmodjunk

Just ran a quick test and yes, if there is data in the serial number field, that data will be imported instead of replacing it with a new value even if you enable the auto-enter option, but if you exclude the field from the import mapping order, then you get the expected auto-entered serial number.

• 3. Re: Can't get auto-enter serial number to work when importing records
              PetersonJacquelyne

Hello PhilModJunk -

Thanks so much for your suggestions/recommendations! I appreciate that and I'll try them and see where I get!