AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can't get auto-enter serial number to work when importing records

Question asked by PetersonJacquelyne on Aug 22, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2013 by PetersonJacquelyne

Title

Can't get auto-enter serial number to work when importing records

Hello! Would appreciate and all advice on this issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I have a master FMP 12 database (living on an networked server) with a field for a unique ID#, and have that field set to auto-enter a serial number by increment of 1 when a record is created. This works when adding a new record manually (e.g. it auto-enters a value of one more than the last record's value in that same field). However, I frequently import records from standalone FMP 12 files that I receive from consultants I work with, and when I do so, the starting number of the first imported record is never what it should be:

- it starts at a different place every time - ie, if I import a group of records on Monday, the starting number of the first imported record is 0746; but if I go to do an import 2 weeks later, the starting number of the first imported record will be 0356

- it's is always a duplicate ID# that is already in use by an existing record in the "master" database: eg if the last record in the master is 0999, the starting number of the first imported record will revert to 0746

I do always select "Perform auto-enter functions" when importing, but that doesn't seem to do anything. I'm at a loss for how to make this work. Has anyone ever experienced this before and found a solution?

Thanks!

Outcomes