4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 12:24 AM by RichardBrown

Can't get Field to display related info

RichardBrown

Title

Can't get Field to display related info

I am trying to make a database program for my studio and I have organised, as best I know how, the layouts and tables to be work for Clients (and their relevant info), Making an Invoice, Displaying Account Info, Reports, To Do List and another Inovice layout just for printing the invoice. I have tried numerous ways to get the Client table to be related to the 'Print Invoice' table via _pkClientID (Client table) and __fkClientID (Print Invoice Table) so that the relevant ID no., email address, name etc will automatically fill in on the Print Invoice layout. I initially  tried replicating what I did between my Client table and Invoice table (which works very well) using a drop down list with the values being all the clients in the database but that didn't work - the client ID field and all other fields remained blank. I then copied the Client 'table' in the Relationship graph and linked this to the Print Invoice table to see if this would help. I have since tried as many variations as possible but now am completely lost !

Please see the attached screen shot whch I hope will illustrate this further - Any help would be really awesome - I already posted 2 posts on this forum and got great responses which solved my previous 2 issues so I really hope I can make it 3 out of 3 !  - very best regards, - Richard

Receipt_Client_relationship.jpg

• 1. Re: Can't get Field to display related info
          philmodjunk

What you have selected all looks correct. The next place to check is the design of the layout.

The layout, I can see is based on the Official Receipt table occurrence as would be expected here. But from what table occurrence are the client fields on your layout selected? Click each one while in layout mode and check to see what name appears to the left of :: in the Display Data From box on the Inspector's data tab. You should see: "Clients for Invoice Printing", but I suspect that you will see "Clients". Change them over to "Clients for Invoice Printing" and they should then display the correct related client info when you select an ID in the fk field.

• 2. Re: Can't get Field to display related info
            RichardBrown

Hi Phil thanks very much for your help and response. I have double checked what you suggest and the fileds are all from the table occurance of 'Clients for Invoice Printing' (the copy of the Clients table occurance) except for the  __fkClientID which is from the Official Receipt table occurance which in turn is the one the layout is based on. I have exactly the same set up and field matches between the Client occurance table and Invoice occurance table which works fine. One thing I realised I haven't made clear initially is that I can't get anything to show in the __fkClinetID field - it should be a drop down menu which would allow the correct match field to be selected so that the other fields will populate. However I can not select anything in this field and it remains blank so I was thinking that it maybe the way I have set up the drop down menu in regards to the field. In the same set up on the Invoice layout I can select the Client via a similar drop down menu........... Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Regards

Richard

• 3. Re: Can't get Field to display related info
              philmodjunk

Yes, if you can't get a value list to appear then something is wrong with your value list. The setup you show, however, looks correct.

• 4. Re: Can't get Field to display related info
                RichardBrown

Well I finally fixed it - I found an old post where the suggestion to fix a problematic Drop Down Calendar was to delete the layout and do it again. So I deleted the layout, created a new one and imported all the fields again and it works. Thanks for the help Phil. Best regards - Richard