3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 7:29 AM by philmodjunk

Can't get to show most current record on a Summary Layout

algae592002

Title

Can't get to show most current record on a Summary Layout

I have a layout that shows a summary of teachers at the school I work at, and they are sorted by grade level. Each teacher line also shows how many students they have in their classroom. The layout also has a subtotal part that shows the total number of students per grade level, and a footer that shows the total number of students per school.

Now, I have some students that unfortunately are being changed from one classroom teacher to another after the school year has started. I need to keep track of these changes, so one student can end up with 2 classroom records for the same year.

The problem: On the summary layout the classroom changes are not showing up. Only the first classroom teacher info is shown, but not replaced with the most current classroom info.

I've played with the timestamp in a ceiling function to get the most current changed classroom record, but from there to having the layout showing the most current data on classroom assignments for the students seems very far from being reached. I'm stuck.

Hoping this scenario makes sense, does anyone know how I can solve my problem?

Thank you

Alex

• 1. Re: Can't get to show most current record on a Summary Layout
          philmodjunk

From what table does this data come? The table that is the basis of your report layout or a related table. My best guess is that the report layout is based on a table of students and their teacher assignments come from a related table. In that context, a field from the related table will show data from the "first" related record. Unless you specify otherwise, this will be the original related record--the record for the teacher that was first assigned to that student.

But you can go into Manage | database | Relationships, find and double click the relationship line and then specify a sort order for the related records that sorts them into a descending order by a serial number field or auto-entered timestamp field to make the most recently added record the "first" related record.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 2. Re: Can't get to show most current record on a Summary Layout
            algae592002

I followed your suggestion because the scenario you describe is right. After adding the sort in the relationship, the class list sort showed the child's name in the correct classroom. Now the strange thing is that it still separates the 2 students in the same classroom, into 2 separate class lists, meaning there are 2 actual pages with one student name on each, even though they are both in the same classroom. The subtotal fields the layout has are 2, using classroom number and grade level to sort. All other class list are showing fine, except this one class. The sort field I'm using in the relationship is the enter date of the student into the current teacher's classroom, which is different than the one the other student has.

Any ideas? I continue stumped.

• 3. Re: Can't get to show most current record on a Summary Layout
              philmodjunk

I'd need to see a much more detailed description or screen shot of the layout design. (If you take a screen shot, take it while in layout mode.)