1 Reply Latest reply on May 27, 2010 1:14 PM by philmodjunk

Can't import updated records without creating duplicates on MAC

ferriscc

Title

Can't import updated records without creating duplicates on MAC

I am using a database with over 8,000 customers' contact information and a relationship graph that links four seasons of concerts with customer sales.  I need to update my contact information from QuickBooks to add data about our current season's sales.  I do NOT want to rebuild this database.  But no matter what I do, I get duplicate records of all past customers.  I HAVE a unique field to match.  I choose 'Match' and 'Add new'.  Is this because I'm using a Mac computer, and so, a limitation of the software?  Or is it the drop-down entry fields that are causing the problem as I've gleaned from other posts?  NONE of those fields are in the contact information that needs updating (the main table of the database).  Note: All I know about FM is from straight trial and lots of errors. 

• 1. Re: Can't import updated records without creating duplicates on MAC
          philmodjunk

What you describe should work. Since it doesn't, I suggest looking at your data and the details of how you set up your import.

When you specify the update existing records option, you have to specify a pair of fields that match a record to be imported with any existing record with the same value in this field. This "matching" did not occur as you expected and thus you got duplicate entries. Either the wrong pair (or pairs) of fields where specified as the match fields or the values in the fields weren't identical like you expected. If a match field is text, it could be as simple as the presence of a space or other invisible character is keeping your values from matching.