7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 8:27 AM by chewyjake

can't login with new user

chewyjake

Title

can't login with new user

For some reason, I cannot login with a newly created user.  I can create a new user by going to "file", "manage", "accounts & privileges".  But afterwards if I try and login with the user name and password, I get an error message saying I can't sign in with that user.  This database was updated from .fp5 to .fp7.  if anyone has any ideas i would greatly appreciate it.

• 1. Re: can't login with new user
          TSGal

chewyjake:

Thank you for your post.

There are a couple of reasons why this may occur.  1 - you mistyped either the name or password when creating the account (which I doubt is the case).  2 - there is something wrong with the file itself.

Is it possible for you to make a clone of the file (copy of the file with no records) and send it to me?  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the database file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: can't login with new user
            chewyjake
               Unfortunately I cannot send a copy of the database because it contains company information (not my company) that I probably should not share.  Also it is not just one file but many somehow compiled into one database.  It was originally created with ebase by someone other than myself.  Basically my goal is to have an account with read only privileges.  The guest account is enabled but the guest option is greyed out when I open the database.
            • 3. Re: can't login with new user
              TSGal

chewyjake:

I understand about proprietary information.  No problem.

Under Guest account privileges, can you tell me everything that is set?  That is,

Account Status:

Privilege Set:

(If a custom privilege set, all information associated with it).

Can you create another non-guest user account with the same privileges as a Guest account?  If so, what happens?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: can't login with new user
                chewyjake

Account Status: Active

Privilege Set: [Read-Only Access]

if i create a user with the same settings I cannot log in using that account. 

• 5. Re: can't login with new user
                  TSGal

chewyjake:

Thanks for the quick reply.

It sounds like the account information may be damaged.  There is no easy way to fix it unless you create a new file.  Do not make a clone, as this transfers the account information!  Instead, export the data to a "Merge" file,.  Open the new file, and import the data into a new table, and the fields will be created for you.  You can then copy and paste the layout information between the two files.

Without seeing the file, this is the best course of action.  Sorry for the hassle.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: can't login with new user
                    RSchaub
                       Is the privlege set asscioated with the guest acct active?
                    • 7. Re: can't login with new user
                      chewyjake

TsGal: thank you for your help.  I have decided to instead enable instant web publishing for read-only access.  I need to have the database accessable remotely.  My original idea was to use a vnc server to remotely access the Mac and login using a read-only guest account.  But instant web publishing seems to accomplish the same goal.  Thank you again.

Rschuab: I believe the privilege set is active.  How can I check this?