14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2011 2:24 PM by Sorbsbuster

Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"

OlivierCompagne

Title

Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"

Hi everyone, and thank you for this forum.

We use Filemaker Pro 7, and I just installed it on my newly installed Windows SB Server 2008. I tried to open the database that we used to work on under Windows SB Server 2003, but it doesn't work.

I get the error message "The database cannot be found over the network". Strange, because I open it from the server, and the database is located on the server too, so there's no need to access the network.

When I go to where we save the database, I see the file "database.fp7" but it's only 36 KB big... Looks like a bad sign to me, but I remember that in the past, this file had the same size, and it was working.

We have an online backup system, so I went and retrieved the file from the backup. Same problem. Even though everything worked okay before I upgraded to SBS 2008. I'm thinking that the database is actually saved in ANOTHER file than the one I manually save it too (which would be extremely deceiving...), and I'm afraid I lost all my contacts. 

Can anyone help?? Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
          OlivierCompagne

Please, please, can someone give a hand?  I don't know where to look.

• 2. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
            Sorbsbuster

36KB is very small.  I'd be worrying, too...  Almost sounds as if you've copied a shortcut to the original file, not the file itself, although it's very big for a shortcut.  Can you right-click on the icon and choose 'Properties' and just remove that possibility?  If it is you will be able to see the path to the real file, even if that path is now no longer valid.

Are you double-clicking on the file?  What happens if you launch Filemaker and choose File -> Open (not Open Remote) and navigate to the file's folder?  Do you see it there?

Have you tried launching Filemaker and choosing File -> Recover, pointing it to the file (see above) and recovering it?

• 3. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
              OlivierCompagne

Thanks a lot Sorbsbuster for taking the time to answer. Sorry for the delay of my response, I was away from work.

I had a similar idea to you, but no the file is not a shortcut. I tried to open it by double-clicking on it, by using Open AND Open Remote, none of it works. I also tried to open the file using Filemaker Pro 7 from the server computer and from the different client computers, same effect.

I tried to Recover it, it produces a file that is 28KB, and even though the program claims the recovery is successful, the file doesn't work (obviously).

What's more, I went to our online backup system, looking for older versions of the file. It turns out that the database.fp7 was 36KB as long as the backup system recalls (2004). Yet the database has been working all this time when opening this same file.... go figure!!  

Any idea???

• 4. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                Sorbsbuster

There were two possibilities I could think of:

- Your FM installation was faulty, but you have removed that by trying it from another computer.

or

- you are making a mistake, that the file you are trying to open is not the correct file, and whatever that mistake is you are making again when you look in the backups.  You could try searching for all fp7 files and see what is found.

If you don't mind me seeing it you could send it to me, but I don't really know what I would do that would be different from what you have tried.

• 5. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                  philmodjunk

you might try taking it down off the server and opening it directly in filemaker. You might examine the external datasource settings to see if it refers to one or more external files. If it refers to another file and it is not open and hosted as a multi-user file from the server or another computer, you might see such an error message.

You might try running a recover on the file to see if it is damaged.

• 6. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                    OlivierCompagne

PhilModJunk>

1) I already open the file directly from the server computer, and I tried copying it to a client computer and open from there. I've tried all these "soft" solutions hoping for a miracle, nothing changed.

2) I would gladly "examine the external datasource settings to see if it refers to one or more external files", how do I do that?

Sorbsbuster> I tried searching for all fp7 files, there are many other databases, they are bigger than 36KB for sure, and they work (I can open them). I think they are FM template files. I can also create a new database and insert data without problem. Everything is working fine, except for this old database I don't know where it has gone.

• 7. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                      philmodjunk

Open mange | external data sources from the file menu.

Did you try recovering the file?

• 8. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                        OlivierCompagne

PhilModJunk> I do not have this menu.. I'm using FM Pro 7

I have 

• New Database
                        • Open
                        • Open Remote
                        • Open Recent
                        • Define
                        • Import Records
                        • Recover
                        The rest is grayed out, and there is no manage or external data sources
                        • 9. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                          philmodjunk

I jumped from 5.5 to 10 so I don't know which version after 5.5 first added the ability to manage external datasources. It may be that 7 did not have this capability.

You might download the trial version of 11 and use it to open and examine the external data sources. Versions 7 through 11 use the same file format so there isn't any conversion issues to worry about.

• 10. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                            Sorbsbuster

The file you sent me opens perfectly.  It is so small because it is simply a file that holds an 'Open file...' script that runs on startup.  It is not the file that holds your data.  That is in the other file, that it opens.  It is (was, anyway) at the address: 192.168.1.100/FileMaker Donations, so the IP is presumably your server, and the file is called Filemaker Donations.  It is that file that needs to be opened on your server for the remote clients to see it.

There is no mention in this file's structure of any 'database.fp7' file that you refer to in your post.

• 11. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                              OlivierCompagne

Sorbsbuster> Thanks for looking at it! It looks like I'm going somewhere finally. 'database.fp7' was a fake name, the file I sent you has the actual name, I should have specified. All this triggers some questions:

1) How did you open the file? with FM itself? It didn't work for me, nor did it with a text editor (or, it did but I could only read gibberish).

2) So the target file was called 'Filemaker Donations' without any extension? if you can give me the exact content of the script, it may be so helpful. Really appreciating your help here.

PhilModJunk> I could try the trial version of FM 11, it's an idea. I'll try it if I meet a dead end with Sorbsbuster's help, but it looks like I'm on the right path. Thanks anyway

• 12. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                                Sorbsbuster

The file opens by double-clicking, with the FM11 that I am using (with no 'conversion from older format' or anything).

The only significant step in the script is the Open File (with the reference I quoted).  The other steps simply pause for 4 seconds, and give you the warning that is can't be found.  I'll happily post a screenshot of the script if you want, but all you need is the filepath.

The external data source reference is to fmnet:/192.168.1.100/FileMaker Donations.  That means that this 'Open File' is trying to open a remote connection to a file called Filemaker Donations (no extension in the reference) which is being hosted by the server 192.168.1.100.

That file should be on, or available in the backups of, that server.  If you double-click it it should open in Filemaker (if that application is installed on the server) and it should be visible to that Open_Database file you sent me if the server's address is still 192.168.1.100.

From your earlier posts:

"I get the error message "The database cannot be found over the network". Strange, because I open it from the server, and the database is located on the server too, so there's no need to access the network." The network itself is probably not the issue; the issue is that the Filemaker Donations file is not launched to be available to see on the network.

"even though the program claims the recovery is successful, the file doesn't work"  You are recovering this file (the Open Database script holder) and it is recovered correctly (for me, anyway)

"It turns out that the database.fp7 was 36KB... "  That is the file that contains your data.  If you send me that I will try and open it for you.  I understand if you do not wish to do that.

"I already open the file directly from the server computer, and I tried copying it to a client computer and open from there. I've tried all these "soft" solutions hoping for a miracle, nothing changed." - do you mean the file you sent me, or the Filemaker Databse file it tries to open?  The only file that matters to you is the Filemaker Database, this file is merely a convenient trigger to open it.

"Everything is working fine, except for this old database I don't know where it has gone." - do you mean the Filemaker Database that you've found, or the file you sent me?  Have you found the Filemaker Database file?

• 13. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                                  philmodjunk

What you describe, appears to be an "opener file", a file you would place on the client machine and double click it to open the hosted file on the server.

• 14. Re: Can't open / find my database: "Database cannot be found over the network"
                                    Sorbsbuster

Totally correct, Phil.  The external file reference no longer applies to a hosted file of that name (Filemaker Database) at that address (192.168.1.100).  Presumably.