2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2012 10:56 PM by FrankFitzpatrick

Can't open converted files: Filemaker 5 to 11

FrankFitzpatrick

Title

Can't open converted files: Filemaker 5 to 11

I had set passwords in Filemaker 5 on my old G4 Mac computer, (which incidentally still worked on my new Mac, OSX Snow Leopard). Now when I try to open them they are automatically converted to fp11, so I enter the old passwords, but the files reject my opening of them. The account name that comes up may be the problem. I don't recall there being an account user needed in the old Filemaker. Any ideas?

Thanks, Frank

• 1. Re: Can't open converted files: Filemaker 5 to 11
          philmodjunk

Two details can affect this issue.

First, FileMaker 5 files do not have account names. During conversion, FileMaker 11 creates an account and uses the password as the account name. If your FileMaker 5 password is "Fred", enter "Fred" as both the account name and the password. You may also find that you can open the file by using admin as the account name and leave the password field empty.

Second, FileMaker 5 passwords are not case sensitive. Using our original example, you could enter FRED, fred or Fred and the file would open. FileMaker 11 passwords are case sensitive. If you defined the FileMaker 5 password as "Fred", you must use that capitalization for the password (account names are not case sensitive) when opening the file.

• 2. Re: Can't open converted files: Filemaker 5 to 11
            FrankFitzpatrick

Thanks, Phil!!

That's exactly what I needed to know.