11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2014 4:28 PM by philmodjunk

Can't open hosted files

MaximoBerocay

Title

Can't open hosted files

Hello, I am having a very strange problem. There is a file hosted on our server that every computer on the network except mine can open. I can "see" the server (it appears in the local hosts list) but if I select it the list of  available files is blank.

It was working this morning. I noticed it after moving my computer earlier today.

• 1. Re: Can't open hosted files
          philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using?

What operating system?

Please describe exactly what you mean by "moving your computer".

Is it now connected to a different subnet of a larger network?

• 2. Re: Can't open hosted files
            MaximoBerocay

Filemaker 11 Advanced

Mac 10.6.8

By "moving" I mean I packed up my computer temporarily so I could thoroughly clean my desk, so it should have all the same network setup as before.

Edit: so I also had a copy of Filemaker Pro 10 and I can open the file just fine through that, the problem I guess is just with the 11 Advanced install.

• 3. Re: Can't open hosted files
              philmodjunk

Here is one possibility to investigate:     FMP installer does not install server.pem file

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 4. Re: Can't open hosted files
                MaximoBerocay

Copying the server.pem file from my 10 Pro install dosen't work. That seems sketchy though, were do you get one for FM11 Adv?

It was working on this install before though.

• 5. Re: Can't open hosted files
                  philmodjunk

every computer on the network except mine can open

I would copy it from one of the other computers if any of them have FileMaker 11 installed. (Should be same file whether it is Pro or Advanced)

If all else fails, uninstall and re-install.

BTW, it seems unlikely that moving your computer had anything to do with this.

• 6. Re: Can't open hosted files
                    MaximoBerocay

Yeah, I didn't really think so either, but since it started after I moved it I thought I'd mention it.

So I finally managed to try replacing the server.pem with one from a computer that can connect to the server, and it still is just blank for the file list on the server. Also tried reinstalling, no luck.

I also noticed a new detail: My copy of FM Pro can see the file, but the list is also blank for it if I look while my copy of FM Advanced is running.

Edit: I accidentally picked a comment is the best answer, deleting it didn't seem to work, is there a way to undo this?

• 7. Re: Can't open hosted files
                      philmodjunk

There is no way to undo the "best answer" solution short of PMing someone that works for FileMaker (A TS person or ModMan) and asking them to fix it. This is one of many shortcomings to the software used to host this forum.

My copy of FM Pro can see the file, but the list is also blank for it if I look while my copy of FM Advanced is running.

Did you meant that FM Pro can't see the file?

I would be extremely surprised to find that FileMaker pro can access a hosted file when FileMaker Advanced can't when both are installed on the same computer.

Can you access the internet and other locations on your local network from this computer? (Maybe you have an issue with connecting to your network.)

• 8. Re: Can't open hosted files
                        MaximoBerocay

"I would be extremely surprised to find that FileMaker pro can access a hosted file when FileMaker Advanced can't when both are installed on the same computer."

This is the case, FM Pro can see and open the file, but only if FM Advanced is not running.

• 9. Re: Can't open hosted files
                          philmodjunk

And what happens if FM PRO is not open and you attempt to access the hosted database with FM PRO Advanced?

That you can use one or the other but not both at the same time is not nearly so unexpected as being able to access the file using FM PRO as long as FM PRO advanced is not open but not be able to access the hosted file at any time using FM PRO Advanced.

PS. there is no real reason to have both the same versions of FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Adv installed on the same computer. Everything that you might do with Filemaker Pro, you can do with advanced.

• 10. Re: Can't open hosted files
                            MaximoBerocay

Ok, so I deleted everything even vaguely related to Filemaker and reinstalled FM Adv. I could see the file! But after opening it and it working, I opened a different file and then quit Filemaker, and then when I went to open it again after that it was gone again.

• 11. Re: Can't open hosted files
                              philmodjunk

I think that you are going to need to contact FileMaker Tech support so that they can walk you through all the possible issues that might be keeping you from accessing the file.

Final things to check first:

You have Bonjour installed? (this is required to see the file)

You are looking at "Local hosts" and not favorite hosts when you can't find the files?

Can you select the server and then type in the name of the file in the field at the bottom of local hosts and open the file that way?