9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 2:56 PM by enyko

Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"

enyko

Title

Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"

Ok guys, sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it on the boards/knowledgebase. I've read Answer ID 6099 and all checks out.

Two computers on my LAN (Macs). Here is what I do;

1. I open FMP 10 Advanced on the first machine (host).

2. Open my database file.

3. Enable sharing via File>Sharing>FileMaker Network Settings

- Network Sharing: On

- TCP/IP Address: 192.168.1.100; 192.168.1.101; 192.168.151.1; 172.16.2.1

- Network access to file = All users

4. I open FMP 10 Advanced on the second machine.

5. I attempt to open the shared database via File>Open Remote

- View: Local Hosts

- Hosts:  Mac Pro (192.168.1.100)

6. I select my host computer

- Network File Path: fmnet:/192.168.1.100/

But no files show up under Available Files.

What am I doing wrong? 

• 1. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
          enyko

Ok, got it to work and thought I'd share.

I was able to open the file via "Open Remote File" by manually entering the full Network File Path: fmnet:/192.168.1.101/clients.fp7 but you will notice I had to change the last 3 digits from 100 to 101. Not sure why by this way, it recognized my file. And when I added it to the hosts list via "Favorite Hosts", the file also showed up in the Available Files section.

Not sure why it didn't work for the default TCP/IP Address 192.168.1.100 but again, it showed up when I changed it to; 192.168.1.101.

• 2. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
            TSGal

enyko:

Thank you for your post, and I'm glad you found an answer.

In my case, the 192.168.xxx.xxx is a local IP Address, but I always use the IP Address of my machine, and, for me, this is listed last.  In your case, that would be 172.16.2.1.

Since you are on a Mac, go into System Preferences and select "Network".  Select "Built-in Ethernet" (if not already selected) and your IP Address for the machine should be listed.  Try using the displayed IP Address to access FileMaker Pro files.  Does this work?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
              enyko

Ok, I have an update and since it's related I decided to add it to this post instead of creating a new one.

I have three Macs (PowerBook G4, Mac Pro & MacBook Pro). I open our FMP db on the PowerBook G4 as the "host". I then open the same file via "Open Remote File" on the Mac Pro. Works great. But when I try to open the file via "Open Remote File" on the MacBook Pro, it doesn't show up in the list. The "Open Remote File" dialogue box shows the correct host "PowerBook G4 (192.168.1.100)" but no files are shown under "Available Files". I confirmed the path is accurate by looking at it on the Mac Pro dialogue box (fmnet:/192.168.1.100/-leads). When I manually type this in it doesn't work either.

Any thoughts? 

• 4. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
                TSGal

enyko:

I'm sorry for the late reply.

I would try opening a file on the local machine, and then see if others can open your file remotely.  If not, you may have a network issue.

Physically switch your machine (MacBook Pro) with the Mac Pro, where Open Remote works correctly.  If this works, then you definitely have a network issue.

Also, make sure you don't have any firewall settings set up.  FileMaker Pro uses port 5003 to share data, so make sure this port is not blocked.

Please continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
                  enyko

Thanks TSGal,

Well I screwed things up! I opened FMP on the Powerbook G4 like I always do and a message came up about not being able to share files due to incorrect port (this messages comes up once in a while and we just continue). But this time I configured the port. I changed it from 80 to 5003. Well now I can't open remotely on either machine.

How do I change the ports on my other two macs to find this network file?

or

How do I change the port from 5003 back to 80 since that at least worked on one of my macs? 

• 6. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
                    TSGal

enyko:

Port 5003 is the networking port used by FileMaker Pro to access remote files.  It should not be used as a configuration port!  You do not need to change the ports on the other Macs.  Just make sure that if you have a firewall, make sure port 5003 is not blocked.

It concerns me that you are getting a message to not share files.  This can occur if you are running two copies of FileMaker Pro on the same machine, or if you are running FileMaker Server and FileMaker Pro on the same machine.  I have also seen this occur if a system freeze/crash has occurred and trying to restart FileMaker Pro.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
                      enyko

Ok,

I figured something out. I was able to change the port back to 80 (if you think this is ok) by going to File > Sharing > Instant Web Publishing > Advanced Options: Specify. I then was able to access the file again from my Mac Pro but not my Powerbook G4. So we were back at square one. Then I realized that I have "little snitch" running in the background. This was the culprit. I turned off little snitch and am now able to open the file remotely from both Macs.

Thanks! 

• 8. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
                        RudyM
                           What was it ("the snitch") that you turned off? I can't get TCP/IP to come up on one of our computers using 10.5.4 and FMP 6. All others using 10.4.11 to 10.5.8 work okay. The firewall portion under security is set to allow all.
                        • 9. Re: Can't Open Shared Database via "Open Remote File"
                          enyko

Ugh...here we go again!

Posting in this same thread because I'm getting the same issue. Here are the new details though;

I'm upgrading to Mountain Lion and the way I do it is to load the OS onto a brand new hard drive. I installed FMP and try to open my hosted file but I once again see the correct host but no files show up in "Available Files". When I try to manually enter the path, I get the same error; "<> could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

I use my MacBook Pro right next to me to open the file remotely and it works great. I also restart this same Mac Pro using the previous OS "Leopard" and it also works fine. 

Could there be an issue with opening remotely under Mountain Lion?

Thanks!