5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2013 8:28 AM by SanfordMuseum

Can't print certain records

SanfordMuseum

Title

Can't print certain records

Hi, I am baffled by this problem. I am using Filemaker Pro to digitize our collection records. I would also like to be able to print out a record, when needed. The problem I have run into, is that on one of our databases, the records print fine up to record #600, and then they don't rpint at all. They show a record in the Filemaker preview, but not in the print preview. The printer preview shows a blank page, and that is what it will print out.

I have made some change to the layout today, but those changes were applied to all the records. We have three other databases that all will print any of the pages. So, it seems to be a glitch peculiar to this one.

I would be grateful for any ideas! Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: Can't print certain records
          philmodjunk

Please describe the design of your layouts and tables in more detail.

Are you using a script to print or are you selecting print from the File menu?

If printing from the file menu, what options are you selecting in the print dialog?

And what version of Filemaker are you using and on what operating system?

• 2. Re: Can't print certain records
            SanfordMuseum

Ok, let's see. The layout of the form is meant to mimic our acession cards (like a library card). They have 12 fields on each card. Most are on line. there are two that I would call "paragraoh" (10 or 12 spaces long). Each of the 730 cards are exactly the same format, so the division at card 600 makes no sense to me. We have 4 databases set up the same way. None of the others have this problem. 

I have tried printing from every "pathway" I could find. Results are the same every time.

I have tried every combination of options on the file menu. Results are the same.

I am using Filemaker Pro 11 (11.0v4) on Mac OS 10.6.8.

I have tried printing wired to HP Laserjet 4700 and wirelessly to Canon MF8080Cw, all with the same results.

• 3. Re: Can't print certain records
              SanfordMuseum

Ok, now I have made a copy of the backup version, and did the same changes to the layout. The same thing happens. Up to 599 it is ready to print, after 600 it is blank. So it must have something to do with changing the layout?

• 4. Re: Can't print certain records
                philmodjunk

They have 12 fields on each card. Most are on line. there are two that I would call "paragraoh" (10 or 12 spaces long). Each of the 730 cards are exactly the same format, so the division at card 600 makes no sense to me. We have 4 databases set up the same way. None of the others have this problem.

Does this represent a single record in your database or is each "card" a separate record?

If not, they should be.

• 5. Re: Can't print certain records
                  SanfordMuseum

Yes, each card is a separate record. I think I have figured it out. Moving the footer and the body tabs around in the layout edit mode. Why the first 600 records were ok, and the last 130 needed it to be changed, I have no idea.

Thanks so much for your help.