Since this works with a newly created file, perhaps your original file is damaged in some way. Try using recover to recover the file and see if the recovered copy works for you. (Test the recovered copy even if recover does not report fixing any problems with your file.)
Things to keep in mind about Recover:
While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...
- The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
- Recover does not detect all problems
- Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
- Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).
Thanks Phil, I did the recovery but the recovered database still isn't saving printable pdf's.
It's weird, you can read the pdf's just can't print them. Becoming a problem for my business right now.
It's a large database btw, about 2.5 GB and over 1 million records.
Now that I think of it, it was automatically recovered after closing "improperly" about two weeks ago, maybe that's when this problem started...
do I have to export all records as excel, copy layouts, etc and just re-import into a new database? That would be a huge job there must be another way...
The ideal solution to this type of issue is to have numerous back up copies on file, each one saved at a different time. In such case, you can test each successively older back up until you get a copy that correctly saves as PDF and then you can save a clone of this copy and import all your current data into it.
If you don't have back up copies, I suggest taking a copy and if you use a script to save the PDF, first test manually saving a PDF in case the culprit is the script. Then try deleting the layout from which you save the PDF and try recreating that one layout. Don't copy an paste any elements from the original layout as you might copy and paste the issue along with the copied object. That may be sufficient to get your system successfully saving PDF's again.
And if you aren't saving and keeping regular back up copies of your file, I strongly urge you to start doing so.
Took a solid day of trial and error but found the problem.
For some reason, if the Paladino font is used in a layout, the PDF will not print. Once the font is changed back to arial or times new roman (only two I've tried so far) the pdf's are printable.
I had never had any bugs with filemaker before, which is one of the reasons I like it. Maybe this is a Windows 8 support thing?
There have been Mac OS issues with fonts for several versions. In those cases, replacing a damaged font suitcase will fix the issue.
But this is a new one as it's from a Windows platform. I don't know if re-installing a font will help or not. If you generate a PDF from MS windows with this font, does that work? That might determine if this is specific to FileMaker. If so, this info should be posted in Report an Issue to bring this to the attention of FileMaker TS personnel who monitor that section.
Ok. I opened a word doc, typed a sentence in palatino font and saved to pdf. This did print. So it appears the problem is a filemaker problem.
After reviewing this thread, my last post missed a detail: That you can do this from a new FileMaker File. That suggests that there is an issue with your File. Since recover did not fix the problem, this would appear to be damage that recover cannot detect or repair. I would try saving as PDF from different layouts in this file. You may find that you can correct this issue by replacing this one file.
This would also be a good time to test older copies of your file if you make and keep back up copies of your file...
The problem happened on a new file I opened after a complete reinstall of fm12 on my machine. The new file wouldnt save printable Pdfs when I changed font to palatino, and would print when I changed back
Then I suggest making an Issue Report if you have not already done so. FWIW, the only font I can find on my Windows 7 system is called "Palatino Linotype". When I configure FileMaker to include it and format some text and data with this font, I can save as PDF. But I don't know that this is exactly the same PDF.