3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 12:37 PM by philmodjunk

can't see fields in layout

winerchip

Title

can't see fields in layout

I am new to FM, and I am experiencing a strange thing.  In Layout mode, I cannot see the fields completely.  If I am trying to move fields, they don't show as selected (with the 4 corner handles).  Also in Table View, when I click in a field to edit the contents vanish until I click in another cell.  The change is made, and it shows once I click out of the field.  Any help would be appreciated.  See the Company cell for Michelle Cannon in the attached pic.

FM_Cell.JPG

• 1. Re: can't see fields in layout
          philmodjunk

Any chance this is on a Mac system with Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) installed on it?

• 2. Re: can't see fields in layout
            JKH

In the screen shot you are showing is from Table View.  In order to have the "handlebars" around an object or field you need to be in Form View.  In table view all you really can do is select "Modify" and add fields to your table or modify the contents of the field.  Keep in mind that even though you have inserted a field to the layout, you have to go back and add the same field to your table.  I'm not sure why your fields disappear, you are working with a excercise DB.  In my experience that excersise tables and DB work a little funny.  (or several times over the course of the filemaker training series)

• 3. Re: can't see fields in layout
              philmodjunk

Keep in mind that even though you have inserted a field to the layout, you have to go back and add the same field to your table. 

You cannot add a field to a layout without it first being defined in one FileMaker table or another.