4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2009 7:40 AM by enyko

Can't Send Email Scripts When Working Remotely?

enyko

Title

Can't Send Email Scripts When Working Remotely?

We have been working here in the office with one "main" FMP database open while other computers access that database via "remote". All works well until today I noticed I couldn't trigger an email script. Is this correct? A bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks! 

UPDATE:

I can't run my email scripts at all on my Mac Pro. But I can when I open up the same file on my MacBook Pro? I used to be able to. 

• 1. Re: Can't Send Email Scripts When Working Remotely?
          TSGal

enyko:

Thank you for your post.

In your email script, are you sending emails through your email client or by SMTP?  Either way, try sending an email to yourself by pulling down the File menu and selecting "Send Mail...".  Does this work?  If sending by email client, does any message get put into the "Sent" folder?

Any additional information you can provide my be helpful in determining the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Can't Send Email Scripts When Working Remotely?
            enyko

Hey TSGal,

Here are the answers to your questions as well as some other info;

- all mail scripts are sent with these settings; Show Compatibility = "Client", Run script with full access privileges = checked, Perform without dialogue = not checked, Send via: "E-mail Client" (which is Apple Mail), Create: One email using data from the current record.

- tried "Send Mail" from the File menu and the same results. It almost looks like it does it except it never brings up Apple Mail and let's me send the email. No error or anything. No email in "sent" or "drafts" folder.

- I also tried Scripts>Send Email. There I did get an error: "There was an error addressing the email. Please check that your email software is installed correctly." No errors when I try the other scripts though. 

It almost acts like it can't find the Mail app. 

• 3. Re: Can't Send Email Scripts When Working Remotely?
              TSGal

enyko:

Thank you for the additional information.  This definitely helps.

On the client machine, launch Apple Mail, pull down the Mail menu and select "Preferences..."   In the dialog box, click the "General" icon at the top left.  The first option should be "Default email reader" and you need to set this to Mail (3.6).  Close this, and the next time an email is sent, it will launch the default email reader, which is now Apple Mail 3.6 (or whatever version you are using).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Can't Send Email Scripts When Working Remotely?
                enyko

Sorry for the delay in reply but it just started working. Not sure why or how but it's been working now.

I did confirm that Mail is the default email client so thanks for that TSGal!