1 Reply Latest reply on May 31, 2013 8:34 AM by philmodjunk

Can't wrap my head around relational datbases

NickCohen

Title

Can't wrap my head around relational datbases

Hey guys!

I'm currently working on creating a database to keep track of all the film photography I shoot. I want to have two basic forms. One that records date for individual rolls of film. For example, what kind of film, when and where it was shot, how it was processed, etc. The other one will be to keep track of individual frames from each roll, with informaiton like what settings that individual frame was shot with, whether or not a print was made of it, what time it was taken, etc.. So for example, one form for the row and one form for each frame on the roll. On the roll form, there would be a list of each frame that has a print made from it, and from there you could click to that frame and see all the individual details about that frame as well. Is this possible with FM? let me know if I need to clarify anything.

• 1. Re: Can't wrap my head around relational datbases
          philmodjunk

Use Manage | Database | Tables to define two tables: Rolls, Frames.

Set up this relationship:

Rolls----<Frames

Rolls::__pkRollID = Frames::_fkRollID

Enable "Allow creation of records via this relationship" for Frames

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

Now you can add a portal to Frames on your Rolls layout. You can put every field from frames in this portal row or just selected fields. You can also add a button to the portal row that uses Go To Related Records to change to the Frames layout to display all the fields for that Frame--including the image itself in a container field.