5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2009 7:10 AM by TSGal

Cannot connect to remote file following upgrade

ewsaunders

Title

Cannot connect to remote file following upgrade

Hello, all. I'm having trouble connecting to a remote file with a Mac workstation that I recently upgraded to OS X 10.5.6 from 10.4.11 (Erase and install, doh!) and from FM 8 to FM 10. FileMaker has the the appropriate exceptions in the filewall, but even turning off the firewall does not resolve the issue. The machine is still able to connect with FM 8 but when I attemtpt to open a remote file with FM 10, when I add the IP to the remote hosts table, nothing appears in the available files column (this process works fine with FM 8).

The odd thing is that I have another workstation in the same group connecting to the same file just fine with FM 10. The difference between the two is that FM 10 was installed prior to the OS X upgrade (also 10.4.11 -> 10.5.6), whereas on the problem station FM 10 was installed after

So for clarification:

Mac #1:

1) FM 8 -> FM 10

2) 10.4 -> 10.5

3) FM 10 :)

Mac #2

1) 10.4 -> 10.5

2) FM 8 -> FM 10

3) FM 8 :)

4) FM 10 :( 

Appreciate your time and any help!

• 1. Re: Cannot connect to remote file following upgrade
          TSGal

ewsaunders:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro uses port 5003 to share files across the network, so please be sure port 5003 is open.

If you know the IP address of the machine that is hosting the database file, go to "Open Remote..." and enter:

fmnet:/<IP Address>/<filename.fp7>

This should open the database.  If not, then there are some system problems.

When you select "Open Remote...", how many IP addresses are listed?

Is the file(s) being hosted by FileMaker Server?

Installing a new copy of  

FileMaker Pro uses port 5003 to share files across the network, so make sure this is open.

If you know the IP addresss of the host machine, go to "Open Remote..." and enter:

fmnet:/<IP address>/<filename.fp7>

Do you have any kind of external authentication?  This may limit the number of files being displayed in "Open Remote..."

Is SSL enabled?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful to determining a possible cause.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Cannot connect to remote file following upgrade
            ewsaunders

TSGal, thank you for your reply.

FileMaker has been added to the OS X filewall (as I understand it, there is no way to open a particular port, only the applications using that port), however, this problem persists even when the firewall is off. I ran Port Scan in the Network Utility using the FM server's IP and port 5003. The result was: "Open TCP Port: 5003   fmpro-internal". I get the same result on machines that are able to connect, so I'm assuming 5003 isn't the problem. 

I've been using the same process in both FM 8 (which is still installed on the problem machine) and FM 10 to open the remote file. File -> Open Remote... -> change View to Favorite Hosts -> enter fmnet:/{our FM server's IP} -> click Add -> this brings up the Edit Favorit Host window -> enter the server's IP address again in the Host's Internet Address and click Save. This brings me back to the Open Remote File window. In FM 8 I can see the server IP under Hosts on the left and our shared files under Available Files on the right. In FM 10 nothing appears under Available Files.

I'm not sure what you mean by external authentication. The files are password protected within filemaker but that prompt doesn't appear until you attempt to open the file. The visibility of the files is not restricted by the user trying to access them or by IP address.

I'm not sure about SSL status. I assume that would be enabled server-side?

What's baffling is that the file opens fine in FM 8 but not in FM 10 on the same machine. 

Thanks again for your time.

+Eric

• 3. Re: Cannot connect to remote file following upgrade
              TSGal

ewsaunders:

Thank you for the additional information.  Now that I know you are hosting the files on FileMaker Server, it sounds like your server.pem file is not recognizing FileMaker Server, so we'll need to copy this from one of your other "working" FileMaker 10 machines.

On one of those "working" machines, right-click (or control-click) the FileMaker Pro 10 application icon and select "Show Package Contents".  A new window will pop up.  Open the "Contents" folder, open the "MacOS" folder, and copy the server.pem file.  Take this server.pem file to your non-working FileMaker Pro 10, and replace the server.pem file with this new one.

Relaunch FileMaker Pro 10 and see if you can now see the remote files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Cannot connect to remote file following upgrade
                ewsaunders

Copying the server.pem resolved the issue. Thank you!

For future reference, how is the server.pem file supposed to be generated (i.e., is it created by FileMaker during an initial connection to a server or is it generated once and then manually passed to each individual client machine)?

+Eric

• 5. Re: Cannot connect to remote file following upgrade
                  TSGal

ewsaunders:

The server.pem file is created by FileMaker Pro (since it is contained in the FileMaker Pro bundle) when connecting to a hosted file the first time.

Let me know if you run into any further difficulties.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.