1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2014 11:24 AM by TSGal

Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13

dbail22@comcast.net

Title

Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13

In recovering a file (no problem just an infrequent check of my files) I get an error:

8495    WARNING: problems were detected while recovering the database.  The recovered file should NOT be used going forward; copy only the most recent work from it into a backup copy of the original file.

I cloned the file and then re-imported all of the tables and the problem remains.  I cannot find a reference to this error number found in the log file.

David

• 1. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
          philmodjunk

Each time you recover a file, new log entries are appended to the end of any existing log file found in the same location as your database file. You may find it easier to find any problems so logged if you delete any such file just before doing a new recover.

You can also do a text search for the key word "changed" and that might find the reference to what was changed.

And if you are using an older version of FileMaker, there was at least one bug in the recover process that incorrectly identified an issue that wasn't an issue where a group of objects with different alignment settings for different members of the group tripped the spurious warning. I don't know if that's the case here as I don't know what version you have and the warning message is the same for real problems so you have to check the log to find out.

But your safest bet is to replace your file with a backup copy that recovers "clean" of any warnings. You can save a clone copy of your back up file and import all your data from your recovered copy of the file.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
            dbail22@comcast.net

This is FM 13.  The logs are easy to read being time stamped. Using an older file that has no problems is not an option due to the number of changes in the file and the related data.  I cloned the file, imported each table and then ran the recovery again.  The same error is shown with no other leads.  I was hoping someone here might have a link to Recoveries error codes so I would have a more limited place to look.  Everything in the log up to the last line showing the error is successful according to the log.

I just scanned the Clone with no records and the same error is reported.  Are there more steps possible with a cloned file to fix this.  I tried recover/clone/recover/clone a few times with the same file and no luck.

• 3. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
              philmodjunk

Unless the FMDiff 3rd party utility can detect the issue and provide a more detailed report on the issue, you may need to use rather drastic trial and error tests to see where the problem lies.

The method works like this:

Take a copy of your cloned file (Recovering with no records is quicker) and delete all layouts. Recover the file. If no problems are detected, the problem is with a layout. If problem is still reported, it's not a layout problem. If it's a layout problem, take a new copy and delete half of the layouts. If it's not a problem with the layouts, take a new copy and delete some other major portion of the file. Repeat this process until you have narrowed it down to a specific layout, script, table or whatever that produces the error on recover when it's in the file being recovered and doesn't produce the error when it's not in the file.

You'll have to decide if it is more tedious to do this trial and error testing or to rebuild your file from the newest back up--and that's like choosing between having your left or right leg amputated--neither option sounds very good.

I also recommend that your report this over in Report an Issue. If recover is reporting a problem but not logging it in the log file, that's a bug to report. The TS personnel there also might provide more info about the particular error code and may want to see a copy of your cloned file.

• 5. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                philmodjunk

The known bugs list shows this as fixed with the release of FMP 12.

• 6. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                  dbail22@comcast.net

I decided to dive in and begin deleting things/recover/deleting things/recover etc.  I got very,very lucky.  The first try was to delete half of the custom functions.  Bingo!  Four more tries got to the problem function which was "QR_Code_Container". A function I downloaded a long time ago.  Previous recovery tries did not show this problem but eliminating it solved the problem.  I have no need for the function so I will go no further with that part of the  problem.

Why did it not show up before??

Why did FM log not single this specific area out in the report??

Not too important now, but more info in the log would have helped a lot....

David

• 7. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                    philmodjunk
                         Why did FM log not single this specific area out in the report??      

Not too important now, but more info in the log would have helped a lot....

This is why I have recommended that you file a Issue Report in Report an Issue. I can't file this for you as I don't have the problem file that illustrates the bug and can't answer questions about it if the TS folks need more info. Please go to Report an Issue and file this if you have not already done so. you can save typing if you include a link to this thread in your issue report.

My best guess is that recover was never set up to log issues with the custom functions.

Why did it not show up before??

We work with a "black box" named FileMaker. We can't see into it. We can only see what we poke into a hole on one side and what then what is pushed out of a hole on the other side. What happens inside that box is hidden from our view. My best guess is that some change in your file was the "straw that broke the camel's back" and it could be darn near anything, but was a change that finally made the issue detectable by the recover process.

• 8. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                      TSGal

dball:

I saw your link on "Report an Issue", but determined it was better to reply here since you have all the details.

Was this file created in FileMaker Pro 13?  Or, was the file created in a prior version?

If you create a new database file, create the QR_Code_Container custom function, and run Recover, do you still get the same error during Recover?

Please post the formula for the QR_Code_Container custom function.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                        dbail22@comcast.net

The original functions were added to the file under Filemaker Pro Advanced 11.  If I create a database with only 1 field and then add the functions and Recover the file, no error is reported.  On my file if I remove the functions and run Recover no problems are found.  If I import the functions from the first translation of v11 files to v12 the problem returns.  I have not tried removing chunks of text from the functions and then recover as yet.  The functions were found and used from an opens source available in several locations on the internet.  I can provide a clone of the offending file(still shows the problem) if desired.  Here is the text from the two functions.  If the Recover function is really looking into the details of the function text to find this problem then I would really like a more detailed entry into the log at that point.  It is amazing that this is the first thing I tried and found the problem....

// Name          : QR_Code_URL ( Data, Width; Height; Encoding; ErrorCorrection; Margin )
                             // Creator        : Matthew Greger (matthewg@thebusinesshelper.com)
                             // Date          : 4/1/2011
                             // Purpose          : Generates a QR Code URL for Google's Chart API for use by Web Viewer
                             //               : http://code.google.com/apis/chart/docs/gallery/qr_codes.html
                             //               : Use in Web Viewer to display QR Code
                             // Params          : Data - valid URL or any text you want displayed in a QR Code
                             // Params          : Width - width of code in pixels
                             // Params          : Height - height of code in pixels
                             // Params          : Encoding - empty is default and is UTF-8, other options Shift_JIS, ISO-8859-1
                             // Params          : ErrorCorrection - this is the level of error correcting, default is L, see Google's docs for explaination
                             // Params          : Margin - white space around the QR Code, default is 4 rows, these are not pixels

//

Let ( [
                             // Google Chart API URL for QR Code
                             $url = "http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr";
                             // Dimension
                             $dim = "&chs=" & Width & "x" & Height;
                             // Data will be URL encoded by Web Viewer
                             $data = "&chl=" & Data;
                             $encoding = If (IsEmpty ( Encoding ); ""; "&choe=" & Encoding);
                             $error = If (IsEmpty ( ErrorCorrection ); ""; "&chld=" & ErrorCorrection);
                             $margin = Case (IsEmpty ( Margin ); "";
                             IsEmpty ( $error ); "&chld=L|" & Margin;
                             "|" & Margin)
                             ];

$url & $dim & $data & $encoding & $error & $margin

)

########################################

/*// Name          : QR_Code_Container ( Data, Width; Height; Encoding; ErrorCorrection; Margin )
                             // Creator        : Matthew Greger (matthewg@thebusinesshelper.com)
                             // Date          : 4/1/2011
                             // Update      : 4/30/2011 to load plug-in function within this custom function
                             // Purpose     : Generates a QR Code into a container field using Google's Chart API & 360Works ScriptMaster
                             //                  : Must Load the ScriptMaster function GetURLAsContainerpart2( url ), now done in this CF
                             //                  : http://code.google.com/apis/chart/docs/gallery/qr_codes.html
                             //                  : http://www.360works.com/scriptmaster/
                             // Params          : Data - valid URL or any text you want displayed in a QR Code
                             // Params          : Width - width of code in pixels
                             // Params          : Height - height of code in pixels
                             // Params          : Encoding - empty is default and is UTF-8, other options Shift_JIS, ISO-8859-1
                             // Params          : ErrorCorrection - this is the level of error correcting, default is L, see Google's docs for explaination
                             // Params          : Margin - white space around the QR Code, default is 4 rows, these are not pixels

//

Let ( [
                             //Register Plug-in Function
                             $plugin = RegisterGroovy( "GetURLAsContainerpart2( url )" ; "new URL(url);"; "isGui=false" );
                             // Google Chart API URL for QR Code
                             $url = "http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=qr";
                             // Dimension
                             $dim = "&chs=" & Width & "x" & Height;
                             // Data must be URL Encoded
                             $data = "&chl=" & GetAsURLEncoded ( Data );
                             $encoding = If (IsEmpty ( Encoding ); ""; "&choe=" & Encoding);
                             $error = If (IsEmpty ( ErrorCorrection ); ""; "&chld=" & ErrorCorrection);
                             $margin = Case (IsEmpty ( Margin ); "";
                             IsEmpty ( $error ); "&chld=L|" & Margin;
                             "|" & Margin)
                             ];

Case (

//Trap for error registering plug-in Function
                             $plugin = "Error"; "ERROR¶Problem Registering¶Function";
                             //Trap for missing plug-in
                             $plugin = "?"; "ERROR¶Missing ScriptMaster¶Plug-in";
                             //generate QR code
                             <Function Missing>( $url & $dim & $data & $encoding & $error & $margin )

)

)*/

• 10. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                          dbail22@comcast.net

If I remove all of the text of the function but leave the function, the problem is gone.  Somehow Recover is looking into the text and finding some problem but cannot report that it is in the function in question.  I was not aware that the Recover function somehow parsed the internal text of functions.

• 11. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                            TSGal

dball:

First of all, thank you for the additional information.

This issue has not been reported, so the more answers I have for Testing and Development, the quicker either team can focus on the possible causes.  The tests you have performed are definitely helpful.

Yes, I would like to see a clone of the file, and if you still have the original .fp7 file from FileMaker Pro 11, I'd also like to acquire that.  It definitely sounds like a conversion issue since a new file does not report the error.

I'm assuming both functions (QR_Code_URL and QR_Code_Container) report the issue individually.  Correct?

On my end, I will confirm removing the text from the function does not report the error, and I'll also try removing only the comments (so only the actual formula remains).  If I can't narrow it down, I'll send it to Testing and Development for additional review.

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send a clone of the .fmp12 file, as well as (hopefully) a clone of the original .fp7 file.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                              dbail22@comcast.net

If I create the clone within the folder of associated files then the problem occurs when running the Recover process.  If I move the file to a folder with no other files then the problem does not occur when running the Recovery.

For the first part of the Recovery process problem I can point you to an available file from a known company.  Download the fmstarting point file and then run the Recovery.  It will find a problem with a table. Remove the recovered table and the relationship. Run Recovery again.   This same 8495 Error is reported with no other info in the log I can find as to what the problem is.

http://www.fmstartingpoint.com/downloadform.php

• 13. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                                TSGal

dball:

I downloaded the file, and the Recover does find some issues with the file (Classic theme, couple of fields in Assets History), but nothing with custom functions.  I removed all the custom functions, ran Recover, and the same errors occur.  The Recover doesn't care if the file is in a separate folder or with other FileMaker Pro files.  The log file is the same.

Neither of the custom functions you posted (QR_Code_URL nor QR_Code_Container) exist in the custom functions.

Is this the file you are using?  If so, what other custom functions did you add?  I added the two custom functions you had below, removed them, and ran Recover, and I still get the same errors.  What other custom functions did you add?  I'm perplexed how you were able to get the file to recover successfully.

TSGal
                                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Cannot correct error found during Recovery FM13
                                  TSGal

dball:

I received your .fp7 file.  Thank you.

Using FileMaker Pro 11, I ran Recover on the file, and I also get an error.  The problem is with the QR_Code_Container function.  Looking at the function, I see there are some missing functions ("<Function Missing>").  I then notice in the comments of the function that it requires two other custom functions.  When I try to download the qr_codes function from Google, I receive a 404 error, so the function is no longer available to me.

Seeing in your printout, you do have the functions available, try removing the comments so just the function is available.  Does this work?

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next