7 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 9:02 AM by WilliamSill

Cannot Get External Authentication To Work

RonKanter

Title

Cannot Get External Authentication To Work

We have FM 11 advance server.  I check the box on the server to allow external authentication.  On the database I add an external group that matches an AD security group, of which I am a member.  When I try to logon on using my ID I get a message that my account cannot be used to access the database.  I have tried both my name and domain\name, but neither works.  I have read through all the help files and believe I have everything set correctly.  Does anyone have this working?  How?

• 2. Re: Cannot Get External Authentication To Work
          shi

I'm having the same problem, did you find the solution?

• 3. Re: Cannot Get External Authentication To Work
            WilliamSill

I just loaded the trial version of FMS12 and it doesn't work on that version either.  Has anyone got this working?

• 4. Re: Cannot Get External Authentication To Work
              shi

Well, I did get this to work, it just didn't work the way I wanted it to.  It required the network administrator to manage the security instead of the user because the profiles are managed by the network instead of FileMaker.  It actually worked just exactly the way it was supposed to but I didn't want to be responsible for the administration of all the remote sites.  It was just my misunderstanding of how external authentication was intended to work.  I believe it was meant for existing Intranet users to have access to FileMaker apps without an additional level of security.

• 5. Re: Cannot Get External Authentication To Work
                WilliamSill

How did you get it to work?

I don't understand what you mean by "It required the network administrator to manage the security instead of the user because the profiles are managed by the network instead of FileMaker."

What network administrator?  Active Directory or the FileMaker Server administrator.  Do you know what your network administrator had to do to get it to work?  I don't see any configuration option for groups on the FMS other than the group admin but I thought that was just for administering the setting for the FMS itself.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Cannot Get External Authentication To Work
                  shi

Active Directory.  The profiles were created in active directory with a group that tied to the user group assigned in FileMaker.  I have an admin in each region that manages the security for his staff, but unless I wanted to give him the authority to make changes to the active directory on my server (which I didn't) I would have been responsible for managing each user.  External Authentication just bypasses FM security and passes it to Windows Server (or whatever the Mac equivalent is).  If that works for you, I had no problem getting it to work that way.  It just wasn't an option for me.  If your users already have a network password it simply aligns it with that existing profile.

• 7. Re: Cannot Get External Authentication To Work
                    WilliamSill

Okay, thanks.  That's the part I'm having problems getting to work.  I've created the groups in Active Directory, but FMS isn't able to authenticate against it.  I put in a support case so hopefully I can get it resolved.