6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2009 8:48 PM by TKnTexas

Cannot import MS Excel Records into FMP 10

datablaze

Title

Cannot import MS Excel Records into FMP 10

I am unable to import an Excel document into any FMP 10.0v3 file. The error message: "This file could not be translated using the selected file type." I can open the same file in FileMaker 8.5 and import the .xls or .slk file successfully.  Can anyone tell me what the problem might be.  My Mac OS is 10.4.11.

• 1. Re: Cannot import MS Excel Records into FMP 10
          TSGal

Frencin:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to duplicate the problem using Excel 2008.  I have created a file, saved it as "Excel 97-2004 Workbook (.xls) ", and then imported it into FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.

What version of Excel are you using?  What is the name of the file you are saving?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Cannot import MS Excel Records into FMP 10
            datablaze

Thanks for replying.  This continues to be problematic but I think it originates with my Quicken source file and I have since figured out a workaround. I export a report from Quicken 2006 for Mac (format is MS Excel) which creates a file called "filename.xls". In an earlier version of Quicken I had the option to export the report as a  SYLK file which imported into FMP 8.5 just fine, but in the Quicken 2006 version the only option is to export as an MS Excel file. I couldn't import the .xls file directly into FMP 8.5 without first changing the filename extension to .slk; however, even this didn't work in FMP 10. I've since discovered that the only way to import the MS Excel file into FMP 10 is to open it in Excel and save as a ".csv" file. It's a complicated workaround but at least it works.

Thanks again for replying to my post.

Inge French

• 3. Re: Cannot import MS Excel Records into FMP 10
              TSGal

Frencin:

What occurs if you open it in Excel, do not make changes, and save it as Excel file?  This should import into FileMaker Pro 10.  If this works, then there is something in the way Quicken writes the Excel file that FileMaker Pro does not recognize.

Can you confirm?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Cannot import MS Excel Records into FMP 10
                FentonJones

I've had some trouble with so-called "Excel" files. In my case they were actually just HTML files, tables, rows, etc., but with an ".xls" extension. I did more or less as was suggested, opened them with Excel, and saved as real Excel files.

Since I was getting entire folders of these, I wrote an AppleScript to process them. Here is the AppleScript to do just one file. It requires that you have Excel open. You can either open the AppleScript, and run it, choosing the file. Or you can save it as an application (bundle), and drop a file on the resulting "droplet."

-- run from here

onrun

setex_fileto (choose file)

my process_file(ex_file)

endrun

-- or, save me as an application (bundle), and drop a file on me

on open (ex_file)

my process_file(ex_file)

endopen

on process_file(ex_file)

set file_path to ex_file as text

ignoring application responses

-- ignore the "this is a web application" warning

tellapplication "Microsoft Excel"

open ex_file

tellfirstworkbook

save workbook as filename file_path file format Excel98to2004 file format with overwrite

-- will overwrite the existing file, so test on a copy first

endtell

close first workbook

endtell

endignoring

end process_file 

• 5. Re: Cannot import MS Excel Records into FMP 10
                  datablaze

Yes. That worked just fine and it's a little easier to do. Thans for your help.

Inge French

• 6. Re: Cannot import MS Excel Records into FMP 10
                    TKnTexas

iI have found while several apps can write an excel file, they may be writing an older version.  Opening in Excel and re-saving it will correct that.  I scanned a document to use OCR to write it to Excel, using PaperPort.  It opened in Excel no problem, but when I saved it, I was given a message that I was changing from Excel ver2, did I want to continue.  Had I been trying to import it would probably have been a problem.