10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 3:15 PM by JGR

Cannot insert picture, etc.

JGR

Title

Cannot insert picture, etc.

I am using FileMaker Pro 7 at work (Mac OS X), and we would like to insert a picture file (.jpg) into our database.  However, almost all options under the Insert menu are grayed out, and we cannot access them.  Is there any way to gain access to this option?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
          TSGal

JGR:

Thank you for your post.

If your Insert menu is grayed out, then you are probably in Browse mode, but you do not have any field selected, or you don't have any records in the table.  If you click inside a Container field, the Insert menu should then have an option for "Picture".

Please let me know if you are still having difficulty.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
            JGR

Thanks for responding, TSGal!  I am indeed in Browse, but I'm in a Container field as well.  I click in the field within the record where I would like to insert the picture; however, within the Insert menu drop-down all of the following remain grayed out:  Picture, QuickTime, Sound, and File.  I can insert Date, Time, User Name, etc. but not the top few items.

Thanks for your help with this issue!  

JGR

• 3. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
              TSGal

JGR:

Thanks for the clarification.

No matter what I try, when I click inside a Container field, I always get "Picture", "QuickTime", "Sound" and "File" options.  The remaining options are grayed out.

I just want to make sure you are in a Container field.  Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".   You should now see your Container field, and in the middle of the field, it should say "Container".  If not, then your Container field is probably not a Container field.  Return to Define Fields, find the field in question, and make sure the field type says "Container".  If the Type says "Text" (that would definitely give you the menu options you are experiencing), then change it to Type: Container.

Return to Browse Mode and see if you still have difficulty.  I can't think of another reason.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
                JGR

TSGal:

That solves the graying out problem!  I have another question, if you don't mind my asking.  Is there ANY way to have a field that can have text entered AND can also have a picture entered?  The database we're building needs a field that will allow us to mainly type text but will also allow us to enter a picture at times as well (not as often as text is typed.)

I apologize for my lack of knowledge about this (and I'm am very grateful to have learned the info you just gave me, as it will greatly help my work with this database).  I recently started here, and I'd never used this program before and am attempting to learn the ins and outs of inserting the information we're needing (as we update the current database from what was set up to what we actually now need.)

Thank you!

JGR

• 5. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
                  TSGal

JGR:

I'm glad you were able to fix the graying out problem.

Unfortunately, there's not an easy way to enter text and a graphic into a field (except entering the information into two fields, exporting to PDF and reimporting the file into a Container field.  Not a very elegant solution).  I would suggest having the Container field, and just below the Container field, have a Text field.  That way, you can insert a picture into the Container field and then supply a description below it.  Does that make sense?

Let me know if you need clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
                    JGR

Thanks for taking the time to work on this issue with me.  Your solution definitely makes sense, so I'll pitch it to my coworkers.  I'm thinking they actually want one place to do both (so they are equally aligned when we print out the database), so it may end up being what they want, BUT I'll at least be able to tell them with surety that it's not possible to do both in one place.

Thank you for walking a newbie through the information, TSGal!

JGR

• 7. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
                      Sorbsbuster

JGR:

If you are going to only enter either text, or a picture, but you then want them to print in the one place, no matter which was entered, why not do as TSGal suggests, and show two fields side by side, one for the text entry and one for the picture.  Then on the layout that is the way you want it printed, have both fields on that layout, but set on top of each other.  Whether it is  the picture or the text you have entered it will print the contents always in the same place.

HTH,

Alan.

• 8. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
                        JGR2

Sorbsbuster:

That is an excellent idea! I'm going to create a print layout like this and pitch it to my coworkers to see how they like it.  Thanks for the idea!  (Sorry for the secondary user name, but I couldn't log into my previous one for some reason.)

JGR

• 9. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
                          TSGal

JGR, JGR2:

I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) regarding your account.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Cannot insert picture, etc.
                            JGR

I should clarify what I'm trying, I guess.  We only need the graphic OR the text to print, so I created a print layout with the overlay mentioned, and it's working beautifully.

Thanks for the suggestion!

JGR