2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2014 9:12 AM by schamblee

Cannot load dictionary Error FMPro10; Win 7

thaiss

Title

Cannot load dictionary Error FMPro10; Win 7

Hello,

I support a few dozen computer that use FileMaker Pro 10. Over the last three months users have been getting cannot load dictionary error when they try to enter data. It is inconsistant but spreading. Most users use Win7 Pro (64) with Office products.

A reinstall of FMP10 can work. But we have FMP locked down, so users can't turn off setting or effect the database outside of the data entry screens.

If the error occurs it can be intermittent or on every keystroke. Also, if you go to edit dictionary; it will error.

I have created a new dictionary, but this doesn’t solve the issue.

In all cases the dictionary is local and located in the default location. I have tried copying a version of the US dictionary from a pc without this issue to one that has it and it doesn’t fix it.

Sometimes it takes multiple installs to fix the issue. We have been using FMP for maybe a decade and on FMP10 for a year or two without issue.

All pc’s use BitDefender and Office products.

We are considering upgrading FMP, but this might not fix the issue.

I have looked through the Forum extensively and not found a solution. Turning off "check questionable words" is not a solution.

• 1. Re: Cannot load dictionary Error FMPro10; Win 7
          philmodjunk

I suggest posting this in Report an Issue as a possible bug to see what the TS people have to say about it. (See tabs at top of this screen.) I can recall at least one similar report there, from memory but not how it was resolved.

I have exactly the same configuration here but a few machines are still XP. System is used very heavily 6 days a week and have yet to see this issue. We do have to re-install once in a while, especially on the XP machines as FileMaker 10 seems to "Mess up" the OS's ability to manage multiple open windows and have learned to re-install when we starting seeing issues that keep multiple windows from opening, but haven't seen issues with this particular error.

• 2. Re: Cannot load dictionary Error FMPro10; Win 7
            schamblee

I haven't had this exact problem before, but I had other unexplained problems from older software and in my case it had to do with my anti-virus quarantine a file it shouldn't (No virus).   You might try excluding the dictionary from virus scans.