6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2010 7:24 AM by TSRaven

cannot open FMP7 after OS reinstall

fmp7

Title

cannot open FMP7 after OS reinstall

Am I out of luck? I recently did a clean install of OS10.5 on my PowerBook G4 (PPC). Before the clean install, I copied my applications folder, including FMP7 to a DVD-R. After the clean install, I copied FMP7 back to the laptop, but FMP7 will not launch. It tries, but eventually I get an error message "FMP7 quit unexpectedly". I presume there was another file placed in another location during the original install that is no longer available. I presume that I'm supposed to reinstall. Problem is, I don't seem to have the original file. The software was purchased online as a download; It was some time ago, but I'm guessing that I must have never made a hard copy. FMP7 seems to no longer be supported, but I was quite happy with and it was working fine for my needs. I did copy some other system files before the clean install, so it seems possible to me that I may have the piece I need somehwere, if I knew what to look for. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

• 1. Re: cannot open FMP7 after OS reinstall

fmp7:

Thanks for your post.

Filemaker Pro 7 is not tested or supported in the Mac OS 10.5 or later, and we have seen the program not be able to launch. Reinstalling may also fail if you had an installer to use as the OS changed so much between Mac 10.4 and 10.5. We never offered it directly as a download so you should have had a disk somewhere unless you purchased it from a third party vendor who did make it available for download.

If you want to use the 10.5 or 10.6 versions of the Operating system I would suggest purchasing a full version of Pro 10 or 11 as both are tested and certified for both version of the OS. Unfortunately you would not be able to upgrade as FMP 7 is not eligible for upgrades to either version. Alternately if you wish to continue using FMP 7 I would suggest reverting your OS to version 10.4 which would allow the installation and launch of FMP 7 normally.

Hope this helps.

TSRaven,

FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: cannot open FMP7 after OS reinstall
            twmissmt

Third party here.  Am I reading this right?  Do you mean in order for me (running 10.4.11 on Macbook Pro and version 7.0 of FM) to upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard I would no longer be able to run any of my databases?  I would have to start from scratch and re-write everything I ever use on FM just to be compatible with the newer OS?  That's unfathomable to me.  I have years and years of work on many databases.  Surely there is another avenue?

• 3. Re: cannot open FMP7 after OS reinstall
              Steve Wright

Databases created in FM7 will upgrade / work in FM8, 9, 10 and  11, TSRaven is pointing out that there are no "upgrade prices / discounts" available.

• 4. Re: cannot open FMP7 after OS reinstall

twmissmt:

I apologize if this was confusing in my last post.

This is one scenario that is more common than not. However, the file format is the same between FMP 7 all the way up through FMP 11, so there would be no rewriting of your files involved. The new version can open your sexisting files without issue. You would simply need to purchase a new software version that would function correctly on the new operating system. But the software and the files are seperate entities, just like a Word document would be to the Word program. The new program can open the old files.

TSRaven,

FileMaker Inc.

• 5. Re: cannot open FMP7 after OS reinstall
                  fmp7

Mr. Raven:
                  Thanks very kindly for your reply.

We never offered it directly as a download so you should have had a disk somewhere unless you purchased it from a third party vendor who did make it available for download.
                  Well, it's 5 years ago now, so I can't say with 100% certainty, but I'm quite sure I remember downloading a trial version, and then later purchasing a serial number, which was sent by email. The trail left in my e-mail archive also suggests this to be true. I have the "License Key" and "Technical Support Access Code" in an e-mail which (purportedly) came from Filemaker, Inc., and is "signed": "Mike Alvarado  Director, FileMaker, Inc. Sales". I also have a saved screenshot showing the original Order ID #.

Filemaker Pro 7 is not tested or supported in the Mac OS 10.5 or later, and we have seen the program not be able to launch. Reinstalling may also fail
                  Can you suggest why I was able to use it for a year (?more or less?) without any trouble? I have not upgraded my OS, only re-installed it (it's possible that in the re-install, I went from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8).

If you want to use the 10.5 or 10.6 versions of the Operating system I would suggest purchasing a full version of Pro 10 or 11.
                  I'm quite sure this is what Filemaker wants, and what Filemaker employees are supposed to say. If it was a $50 or even $100 piece of software, I might consider letting this go, but I have already paid $300 for software that was working perfectly fine. As you may be able to imagine, I am disinclined to drop another $300.

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, but I'm fairly convinced that there is a helper or security file which is placed in the System folder or something during the install process; now that I have re-installed the OS, that file (those files?) are no longer available to the main program, which causes it to fail. Just a guess, I suppose you could say, but I've had similar issues with other software.

if you wish to continue using FMP 7 I would suggest reverting your OS to version 10.4 which would allow the installation and launch of FMP 7 normally.
                  I take this to mean that I need to have the install disc/file in order for this to work? Are you intimating that the copy I have of FMP7 would not work, even on OS10.4, unless I installed it from the original download/disc?

Thank you for your time.

• 6. Re: cannot open FMP7 after OS reinstall

fmp7:

I apologize for any confusion. Allow me to clarify in order of the points you brought up.

For the purchase portion, while this is going back several years now, I blieve it was either 7 or 8 that was the first version we had a trial conversion key. However, the only version that allowed a trial conversion that did not involve a reinstall was version 9, and this was solely due to the activation system unique to that version. We stopped using that system due to several problems with it, but versions prior would have had to uninstall their trials and reinstall using the full installer. I can search our sales records though and see if there was ever also a media or finished goods purchase attached. If you private message me with any sales order information you have available from that email I can comb our archives. Use the small envelope icon in the top right of the forum page to send me a private message, I would not recommend posting it in a response in this thread as this is a public forum.

While the software is not tested and certified and we have seen several users unable to install or launch the software, we have also seen some users able to use the software normally. When software is not tested or certified for a given OS version this is not to say it won't work at all, simply that behaviors are completely unpredictable. Some users have been able to launch the software, but have minor to major performance isues, ranging from inability to print to design components not working correctly, to records not displaying properly, and any number of other isues.

The only files seperate from the main install directory are preference files in the user/system library. While corrupt version of these files can prevent launch, them missing would not. As these files are not created until the first launch after installation, they would not be required to launch the software. All they store are the options listed in your preferences and listings of favorite hosts. If you were to purchase version 9 you would be able to use your existing version 7 as a qualifying product to get the upgrade as opposed to a full new version. However version 7 would not work to upgrade to version 10 or 11, and thus my suggestion to get the full version or revert to a lower operating system. As we no longer sell version 10 or lower, you would need to find a third party reseller with a version 9 upgrade if you wanted to get this for a lower cost, but the latest update made for version 9 allowed it to work normally on Mac 10.5.

FileMaker 7 should launch and install normally under a 10.4 OS environment. While copying the folder directly is not a supported or tested method of installation, we have seen many users able to install this way. If you wish to revert your OS to version 10.4 you can certainly attempt to copy the application folder directly rather than go through the official installer. The only point you would need the install disc at this point would be if the direct copy fails to resolve the issue.

Please keep me updated with any further questions or concerns you may have.

TSRaven,

FileMaker Inc.