8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 7:31 AM by BrandyHamblet

Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time

BrandyHamblet

Title

Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time

I am running FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced on my Mac (OSX 10.6.8), and cannot seem to open multiple databases at the same time on our server.  There are two different servers I access on a regular basis - FM9 and FM11.  On the FileMaker 9 server, I can open as many databases as I want without running into errors.  The problem only occurs when I try to open multiple databases on the FileMaker 11 server.

This is the error message I get: 

The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro. Please refer to the License Key section of your software documentation for further instructions. License Key conflict occurred with user “Brandy Hamblet (Brandy’s iMac) [66.68.110.137]”. All files will be closed and the application will quit.

I can verify that I am definitely the only person who uses this license.  There is another person in my company who also uses FileMaker Pro 11 - not sure if it's Advanced or not - and she also receives that error sometimes.  But others in my company don't report that problem at all.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time
          philmodjunk

There is another person in my company who also uses FileMaker Pro 11 - not sure if it's Advanced or not - and she also receives that error sometimes.

The error message you are getting suggests that the two of you have Filemaker Pro 11 installed with the same license key.

• 2. Re: Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time
            Sorbsbuster

The name you get in the error message is the same as your name, so that suggests to me that you are running the same license of FM on two computers - say you have the application running on a desktop (you don't have to be logged into the database, I don't think) and then you launch it again on a laptop.  Which name appears in the error message fo the other user?

The same thing will happen if a computer crashes while FM is launched and it does not successfully drop its license number from the network.  You can tell who else it conflicts with by checking the IP address of the computers - you may even find it is conflicting with your own becasue of a crash.  (Though a re-start has always cured that for me).

• 3. Re: Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time
              BrandyHamblet

The error message you are getting suggests that the two of you have Filemaker Pro 11 installed with the same license key.

I have confirmed that she is using a completely different license key.  She and I can both have it running and be in the same FM11 server database at the same time with absolutely no problems, and we've specifically checked to make sure the license keys are different.

The name you get in the error message is the same as your name, so that suggests to me that you are running the same license of FM on two computers 

That's not it either, unfortunately.  This license is installed on only one computer.  There are also no computer crashes, no internet loss, nothing that would cause the server to think I'm still logged in on an old session.  I can repeat this error quite reliably by just opening up FileMaker, opening one database successfully on the FM11 server (which confirms for me that it is NOT running on any other computer at the same time), then attempting to open a second database on the same FM11 server.  It gives me that error every single time I try to open a second database on the FM11 server.  This does not happen to me when I open up multiple databases on the FM9 server.

• 4. Re: Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time
                Sorbsbuster

Ah!, sorry - I didn't read your posting carefully enough.  I see what you mean - Open> Remote to one file, works fine, Open-> Remote a second file and it clashes.

Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

• 5. Re: Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time
                  philmodjunk

Definitely something odd here.

Maybe we need to break this down into very small steps. What are the exact steps you go through to open the second file?

When you open remote to a second file, do you launch Filemaker a second time or do you leave Filemaker up and select Open Remote from the file menu?

I would think that you are doing the latter, but the former might explain the error message that you are seeing here.

• 6. Re: Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time
                    BrandyHamblet

Well, after some further digging and testing on my end, it appears that I did leave out an integral step in my explanation of what's going on.  For a long time now, I've been using a "launcher" database to open up the most common databases that I use.  This launcher just has buttons with the script step of "Open File".  Button A will open Database A, Button B, Database B, and so on.  That's all it does.  So what I've been doing is this:

1. Launch FileMaker

2. Open the Launcher DB (the one with my buttons, as stated above)

3. Click button for Database A, and Database A opens as normal

4. Click button for Database B, and then I get the error - but only if A and B are databases on the FM11 server

Now, when I launch FileMaker, select Open Remote for the first database, and then Open Remote again for the second database, and so on, I actually can open up multiple databases at the same time.  I just can't do it if I'm using the buttons in my Launcher DB.  Attached is a screenshot of exactly how one of these buttons is set up.  To note, when I was using FileMaker Pro 9 prior to all of this, I had no problems using this Launcher DB to open up multiple databases on either of our servers.

• 7. Re: Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time
                      philmodjunk

That's intriguing.

In FileMaker 10 and 11 (don't recall if 9 does also), there's an option in the File menu called Manage | External Datasources.

If I were you, I'd open the opener file and then use this option to examine the external data source references for each of these files and see if anything looks unusual here. I wonder if you have a file reference that is specifies a specific IP address other than the IP address of the FM 11 server...

• 8. Re: Cannot open multiple hosted databases at the same time
                        BrandyHamblet

Woohoo!!  There must have been something wonky in the external data source references, because I went ahead and removed all of the external data sources, and then re-added them back, just to get a clean slate, and everything appears to be opening fantastically now.

Thank you!