9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2015 9:32 AM by JustinLomas

Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script

Cleanwater

Title

Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script

I am using the following script and am able to open a text file in the folder specified.  But, when I change the script to point to a PDF file, it runs the script, but does not open the PDF file (and there is not an error message).

The following script works and opens a text file: 

Open URL [No dialog; "file://L:/folder 1/folder 2/folder 3/My_file.txt"] 

When I change the script to open the PDF file, the following script does not open the PDF file:

Open URL [No dialog; "file://L:/folder 1/folder 2/folder 3/My_file.pdf"] 

• 1. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
          ninja

Howdy Cleanwater,

PC or Mac?

Perhaps a stupid question, but do you have Adobe installed (or other?)

• 2. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
            Cleanwater

We have FileMaker Pro on one Windows server that has Adobe Reader installed on the server.  

I changed it to a Word document file, and it opened that file.  So, it appears it is something with Adobe.  Is there a setting in FileMaker Pro or Server to select Adobe as the default program for opening *.pdf files?

• 3. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
              ninja

I vaguely remember some FMP knowledge base articles on FMP and Adobe, but I don't really remember clearly, have you checked there?

As a "keep going, you can do it!", I use open URL on all of my PC's to open pdf files.

I have local (desktop) dbases and ones on FMPServer (dunno which version)

and pdf's on the network and local.  Every combination works fine.

Point is, it IS possible...but other than the knowledge base I wouldn't know where to point you...sorry.

Perhaps another on the board will pick up my slack...

• 4. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
                philmodjunk

"Is there a setting in FileMaker Pro or Server to select Adobe as the default program for opening *.pdf files?"

I wonder if you need to check any OS settings. (You haven't said if you're using Mac or Windows.)

If you just double-click a PDF file does Acrobat reader open it? If not check your OS settings. (Depends on which OS you have in how to do this.)

• 5. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
                  Cleanwater

It is a Windows environment and when I double click on a *.pdf file it opens in Adobe Reader without a problem.  I have also right clicked on *.pdf files and selected Adobe Reader to be used to "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" but it still does not open PDF files from Filemaker.

• 6. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
                    TSGal

Cleanwater:

Thank you for your posts.

Make sure you reference three slashes after "file".  That is, file:///L:/folder1/folder2/folder3/test.pdf

If this doesn't work, let's try something basic to make sure the Open URL script step is working.  That is, create a new "Open URL" script step, and use "http://www.filemaker.com".  This should display the FileMaker web site.  If not, then there is something wrong with the script (or maybe system related).

Assuming this works, open a browser window, pull down the File menu and select "Open" or "Open File" (depending on browser).  Find the file you want to open and select it.  Once opened, copy the URL and paste it into the "Open URL" script step.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
                      Cleanwater

Thank you.  I created a new script and opened "http://www.filemaker.com".  I then found the file and opened it via the browser.  I copied the URL address and pasted it into the Open URL script but it does not work.  I did the same thing for a Word doc (in the same folder) and it opened up.  So it seems like it is an Adobe problem.  

I updated Adobe Reader to 9.1 but it still does not open.  Is there a setting in FileMaker to select how a file is opened using the script Open URL?  This FileMaker Pro 10.0v1 is on a Windows server.  Users that have FileMaker on their computer and connect to the databases through the domain are able to open the PDF file, but those that are using Remote Desktop to access FileMaker are unable to open PDF files using the Open URL script.

Thank you 

• 8. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
                        mcyrulik_1

I just ran into this same problem. On Windows, it seems that the OS didn't know what application to use to open PDFs, but it wouldn't give me an error, it would just not work.

All I did was the following:

Start - My computer. On the Tools menu, select Folder Options.  Then the File Types Tab. Find PDF, and set it to Open with acrobat(or reader), make sure the box marked "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is checked. 

Don't know if that will help you or not, but it solved my problem.

• 9. Re: Cannot open PDF file using "Open URL" script
                          JustinLomas

I had this problem in my solution and seems to be just a question of getting the URL correct.  You must have the three slashes.  I solved this by creating a calculation field called pdfViewPath so I could see easily the path that was being created by the calculation.

I was using the Get(DocumentsPath) function in the calculation which didn't work but when I substitute Get(SystemDrive) for a "/" in the path its all good.

So you would end up with a calculation something like this : 

"file://" & Substitute(Get ( DocumentsPath );Get(SystemDrive);"/") & "Folder1/Folder2/Folder3/Filename.pdf"

Get(SystemDrive) returns a value with preceding and trailing "/"s  (i.e. /Macintosh HD/) hence the to substitute with a single "/"