5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2011 8:55 AM by philmodjunk

Cannot Open Remotely Shared file in FMP 11

AdrianLew

Title

Cannot Open Remotely Shared file in FMP 11

I'm having a problem here where I posted a .FP7 file on my network and enabled it to be shared, but nobody other than myself can open it in FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced

The file is on my network server, and I adjusted the AD security permissions in Windows under Effective Permissions to read, write, and modify - but so far, only the owner of the file can open it.  I'm not opening the file through LDAP

I followed the steps in the KB article when I open the file:  Go 'File' --> Select 'Open Remote' --> and I get the Open Remote File' dialog box.  I type in the full network path where the .FP7 file resides, but still cannot open.  I get an error message that the file cannot be opened or has not be enabled for network sharing.

All of this happening on my LAN so I don't need to open up the router port 5003, etc.  I wonder what I'm doing wrong here?

FMP_remote_file2.JPG

• 1. Re: Cannot Open Remotely Shared file in FMP 11
          AdrianLew

I should note that I'm NOT using FileMaker server -- I'm just trying to do the basic peer-to-peer sharing under Windows XP x64

• 2. Re: Cannot Open Remotely Shared file in FMP 11
            philmodjunk

Put a copy of the file on your local machine and open it with Filemaker Pro.

Select Sharing | FileMaker Network from the File Menu and make sure that you have enabled this file for network sharing. Under "Network Access to File" make sure that "all users" is selected.

Now put the file back on the server and use FileMaker Pro installed on the server to open the file.

Now your other users should be able to use Open Remote from their installed copies of FileMaker Pro to open the file.

• 3. Re: Cannot Open Remotely Shared file in FMP 11
              AdrianLew

Well, I followed these steps where I loaded the .FP7 file locally on my machine, and edited the Network share settings. That part worked fine. After I uploaded the edited files back to the file server.  I got this same error again, when I tried to open them across the network. 

I opened and edited 3 different Seedcode .FP7 files locally -- (SeedcodeComplete, SeedcodeMedia, SeedcodeData)

It's possible that I didn't define the specific users correctly

• 4. Re: Cannot Open Remotely Shared file in FMP 11
                AdrianLew

OK, I got the different SeedCode files to open remotely - but only if there are shared out from one user workstation to the other user workstation -- in a peer-to-peer fashion.  I still have to see if the file sharing will work from the main file server.

• 5. Re: Cannot Open Remotely Shared file in FMP 11
                  philmodjunk

File sharing settings on the server do not affect whether a file is available to other users via open remote and it is dangerous to your file's integrity to open it directly from the server instead of using Open Remote. It is best NOT to share the directory in which you place the file.

Launch FileMaker Pro on the server and open the file.

Then other users launch FileMaker on their computer and use Open Remote to connect to the hosted file.