3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2011 10:48 AM by philmodjunk

Cannot select list with more than one find at a time

javine

Title

Cannot select list with more than one find at a time

Hi,
      I am trying to select a list of records for printing envelopes. This list requires that I select those with blank in the title field, and requires that the email field also be blank. The find control work well for the first command, but when I try the second find or select, FileMaker 11 returns all the records that I did not need. How can I select records that are blank in the first field and are blank in a second field?
      Sorry for not being able to explain this question better. I am a slow retiree.
      jjaavv

• 1. Re: Cannot select list with more than one find at a time
          Sorbsbuster

You are doing an 'AND' search, described in English you want Filemaker to return a list of all records where:

Title = [blank] AND email = [blank]

To do an AND search you enter the criteria in ONE Find Request.  So, enter Find Mode, and type an = sign into the Title field, and also type an = sign into the Email field.  Press enter and FM will find what you want.

BTW: if you wanted to do an OR search (ie: find all the records where Title is blank, but maybe the e-mail is completed, and also add to that list all the records where email is blank, but maybe the title is completed), then enter the first criterion on the first request, then while still in Find mode select Requests -> New Request and enter the second request in that.

• 2. Re: Cannot select list with more than one find at a time
            javine

Thanks Sorbsbuster,

I haven't had time to get back to this job yet, but it sounds like you know what you're doing. I didn't know anything about an AND or OR action. I'll give it a try. Many thatnks,

jjaavv

• 3. Re: Cannot select list with more than one find at a time
              philmodjunk

It's also possible to combine find results with the extend found set action--either in scripts or manual finds. You perform your find to pull up the first set of records then return to find mode, specify new criteria and use extend found set instead of perform find.

Usually, the results are identical to performing a find with two requests to produce an OR type find like Sorbsbuster describes but it can be a bit easier for 'newbies' to understand at times...