AnsweredAssumed Answered

Capability to replace data and assign values to data elements

Question asked by DonnaWilliams on Apr 12, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 12, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Capability to replace data and assign values to data elements

I am currently using Excel pivot tables to manage data. However, I would need to create macros to accomplish certain data replacement requirements.  Specifically, I get data from my ordering backend which needs to be manipulated.  For example, lets say my database gives me 5 different product types ordered.  Two of them are exactly the same product but called different names :  "Large Bag Subscription" and "Single Large Bag".  For production and delivery purposes I just need to know I have X number of LARGE BAGs.  with Excel I need to cut and paste replace the names in order to get one number.  I Have a list of delivery locations associated with the products.  For example, 5 Large Bags  delivered to ABC Street and 2 Small Bags to 123 Street.  I need list I can use for making labels that print in order of delivery.  All individual orders for ABC Street, whichis stop #1, are listed first and then 123 Street order are Stop #2.  The problem is each week I have to manually assign a numbe to each location for each order.  

Finally the question:  Can Filemaker Pro solve these problems for me better than hiring someone to write macros for Excel?

Outcomes