5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2009 12:59 PM by deltatango

Capturing A Field

mgxdigital

Title

Capturing A Field

Hey Everyone.

We have a commission database here and I am wondering if it is possible to capture a calculation at the end of each month.

For instance. We sort by month and then by salesperson and there is a calculation field that adds up all the commission that the salesman as earned so far in that month. Is there a way to set a feild to save that figure at the end of each month so that we can see all months side by side to see if they are doing better or worse.

Also, does anyone know of a way that you can add a chart to a layout? I would love to be able to have a line graph representing all of the salespeople to see where their commissions are compared to last month and see where we are compared to last year, etc.

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Capturing A Field
          Jade

robin wrote:

Also, does anyone know of a way that you can add a chart to a layout? I would love to be able to have a line graph representing all of the salespeople to see where their commissions are compared to last month and see where we are compared to last year, etc.

FusionCharts Free for Filemaker

www.fusioncharts.com/FileMaker

It takes some effort and scripting to implement FusionCharts but the results are worth it.  It is easier to export your statistics to Excel and graph them there. 

• 2. Re: Capturing A Field
            ninja

howdy Robin,

jade is on the money...and brutally honest (in a very nice way).  I'll do the same.  I played with the subsummary reports for some of my ongoing tracking stats and have ended up simply doing finds for the month summaries and typing them by hand into XL.  In my app, there are few enough "sub-summaries" and few enough grand totals per month (10 total).  I've set my calandar to 'ping' me on the first Monday of each month and i spend the 5 minutes retyping the data, appended onto a spreadsheet.  It wasn't worth the time to have FMP do it.

That being said, I have no doubt at all that FMP can do it...it can do 'bout anything.  If it's a small number, though, it might not be worth the build time.

Just my two cents...other may disagree.

• 3. Re: Capturing A Field
              Sorbsbuster

You've heard it all before, but here goes with my hobby-horse again:

Set a script up to:

- Export as a merge file the data you want to chart from FM.

- Open an excel file and import the data.

- Construct the chart you want from the imported data.

- Record a macro that refreshes the data and goes to the Chart worksheet.

- Set the macro to 'Run on opening'.

- In FM, create a script to find and export the data, and to then open the Excel file.

- Clicking the button will therefore take you from FM and display the chart, seamlessly.

Works for me, and it is so simple that the users understand it.

(It's a hobby-horse because I just know there must be a way to exploit the creation of that same Excel file in a container field, and display the chart right there in the record.  I had it kind-of running a few years back.  Running well enough to get me all excited, but could not get support to get round the problems of ballooning file size, and unpredictable zoom level on the Excel chart.)

HTH,

Alan.

• 4. Re: Capturing A Field
                deltatango

In regards to your chart:

http://www.briandunning.com/chartmaker/ 

• 5. Re: Capturing A Field
                  deltatango
                     I've heard the web viewer can be used now.