5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2009 11:49 AM by tragedyinpants

capturing how many speakers of how many languages

tragedyinpants

Title

capturing how many speakers of how many languages

Hi, I'm new to Filemaker and I'm having trouble conceptualizing how everything should fit together in the database I'm building (and what I need to learn to make it work).

Basically, I want to keep track of which languages (usually multiple) were spoken in a program and how many people spoke each language. I'd like to do that in such a way that I can add up numbers for each language from multiple records.

Is there an easy way for me to do this that doesn't involve creating a field for each language that might be spoken? Or, if that is my best option, how could I make only the languages with 1 or more speakers appear in a report or summary layout?

Any recommendations?

I'm using Filemaker Pro 9. 

Darren 

• 1. Re: capturing how many speakers of how many languages
          mrvodka

Hi you can do this with a subsummary report. You should have one record for each instance that the language is chosen. You will also need a summary field that counts the records ( primary ID would be a good idea ).

Then you can use the report wizard to create the report for you. Group by the language field. If you doont want the details, delete out the body part.

• 2. Re: capturing how many speakers of how many languages
            tragedyinpants

Thank you for your reply!

The idea of subsummary report and grouping by language makes sense to me. But I'm confused about having "one record for each instance that the language is chosen." I might be way off, but did you mean I need to create a separate record for each language spoken in a group?

For example: One record for the Spanish speakers of a group, one for the Mandarin speakers, another the Spanish speakers of another group...

It sounds a little awkward for data entry (which is why I think I have it wrong), but I'm willing to give it a try if it makes sense.

• 3. Re: capturing how many speakers of how many languages
              comment_1
                 A more detailed description would be useful here. You mentioned a program (one? many?), now you speak of groups… Give us some background to this undertaking.
              • 4. Re: capturing how many speakers of how many languages

Hi,

maybe you can change your structure to 3 tables:

person                one record for each person

language             one record for each possible language

language_spoken  one record for each language spoken by each person

The person- and the language-table's Primary-Keys should be connected in the relationship-graph to the corresponding Foreign-Keys in the Language_spoken-table and than you should be able to report as Mr_Vodka suggested in the earlier post.

regards, menno

• 5. Re: capturing how many speakers of how many languages
                  tragedyinpants

Thanks for the feedback everyone. 

I think maybe was working too hard on Wednesday and couldn't think straight.

I was playing around with another database I work on, trying to solve almost the exact same problem, and for some reason it all makes a lot more sense to me now. Next time I'll take a day to relax before I send you any convoluted requests for help.

Have a great weekend!