8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 11:03 AM by rjlevesque

Capturing signatures in FM pro

mgores

Title

Capturing signatures in FM pro

I have some forms set up to use on iPad running FM Go where there are signature blocks.  There are some instances where users can be filling out the forms from a computer, PCs and Macs.  Is there a way to use a touch pad like a Wacom pad to enter signatures into the container fields?

• 1. Re: Capturing signatures in FM pro
          rjlevesque

Yes, you can either do this with a premade plugin solution, write your own plugin to do so, or use a ready made library to write the functions.

Example: http://www.geistinteractive.com/

This solution is for sale and uses Fusion Reactor Plugin, however they both use the groovy lib utilizing java and the web viewer grabbing coordinates as you write. Unlike a normal signature capture device this will stop and trigger the grab, save it as an image as soon as you lift up your pen tool. Whereas a regular signature pad like you use at the bank, for example, you can write your first name, lift the pen tool and then underline your signature and it captures it all, even though you lifted the pen and stopped for a second. just FYI...

RJ

• 2. Re: Capturing signatures in FM pro
            mgores

looks like there is a plug-in called autorgaph that might work for Macs for $7 and the geist one should work with PCs (though they seem pretty proud of that one $240).

Or I just might have to let everyone enter a signature on the iPads, store them in a "library"  and find a way to have a password protected access to each of the images.  We wouldn't want anyone to be able to use a signature other than their own.

Was just hoping that since it was built into FM Go, that there would be some equivalent in FM Pro.

• 3. Re: Capturing signatures in FM pro
              philmodjunk

It wasn't even built in to FM GO until a fairly recent update added it.

• 4. Re: Capturing signatures in FM pro
                mgores

Just started playing with FM Go a couple of weeks ago, so I guess I am spoiled thinking it has always had it Wink  (at least it always has for me)

• 5. Re: Capturing signatures in FM pro
                  rjlevesque

I would go with the plugin I posted, IF you decide to go with a plugin...simply because theirs offers support for both Mac and PC right out of the box. And my guess is, especially with the recent addition of signature capture to FMGo, that within the very near future we will be seeing that ability in FMPA also...This is one of those features the masses are demanding, so most likely FMP Inc. will respond and add the feature in.

• 6. Re: Capturing signatures in FM pro
                    rjlevesque

If you know a little about Java and Groovy you could feasibly build your own signature capture plugin with Scriptmaster from 360 works without much trouble. Just another thought...

• 7. Re: Capturing signatures in FM pro
                      mgores

Unfortunately no, I don't know much about either, so writing my own plug-in is a bit out of reach for me now.  I'd love to have time to learn how to do that, but....

I've looked at the geist site and do like the look of that plug in, but don't think I will get the boss to go for the price tag on it.

I may have to make due with having the technicians that enter data on forms from the computer, go to an iPad to review and sign the forms.  Or set up a way to enter a password to enter a preiously captured signature.  At least until FM Inc adds that feature to FM Pro.....

• 8. Re: Capturing signatures in FM pro
                        rjlevesque

In response to this: "I've looked at the geist site and do like the look of that plug in, but don't think I will get the boss to go for the price tag on it."

Related Articles: FMP Plugin Distress...PLUGIN CREATORS MUST READ

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the price tag is way beyond reach for many...