1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2010 8:17 AM by philmodjunk

capturing summary field as denominator to use in same subsummary

kodapei

Title

capturing summary field as denominator to use in same subsummary

hello,

i am using fmp v8 with winXP.  the DB is neither shared nor published.  i am a beginning-intermediate user.

i would like to generate a summary report listing the average volume (m3) of mounted animal specimens by:

1º sort: size classification of animal (XXL, XL, L, M, S, XS)

2º sort: mount orientation (vertical, horizontal, diagonal)

3º sort: animal’s age (adult, subadult, juvenile, infant).

further, at each animal’s age, i would like to express its average volume as a percent of the adult’s avg volume in the same mount orientation class.  and that’s the part i’m having trouble with – how to capture the adult’s avg volume by mount orientation class and use it as a denominator in the other calculations in the same subsummary.

today i’ve investigated Set Field/Set Variable scripting, If/Case statements, GetSummary with Case statement, but can’t seem to put it together to make it work.  i was able to successfully capture the denominator using a simple Case statement with GetSummary, but decided against that path because i would then have to copy that calc field to a permanent field which would not be continuously updated.

would appreciate any help you can give. 

thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: capturing summary field as denominator to use in same subsummary
          philmodjunk

Not sure what you mean by "permanent field" here:

"i was able to successfully capture the denominator using a simple Case statement with GetSummary, but decided against that path because i would then have to copy that calc field to a permanent field which would not be continuously updated."

Defined as a calculation field (not a number field with an auto-enter calculation--not sure if that'll update correctly or not) this will be an unstored calculation. (All calculations that refer to a summary field or a field in another table can only be unstored calculation.) It should update continuously and should give you the correct subtotal--provided you have the correct records in your found set and they are correctly sorted with a sort order that includes the getSummary function's "break" field.